[SOLVED] Looks like I'm going to Step Up to an EVGA RTX 3080 ... but there is one small problem.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Back in late July I purchased a new EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra video card, which replaced a GTX 970 video card that I recently sold. Because I registered my new 2070 Super with EVGA, I will have the opportunity to step up to an RTX 3080. My issue: Once I mail in my RTX 2070 Super, I will be left with an EVGA 8800GTS video card as my only available PCIE based card. This card has dual dvi output and my go-to monitor is a 2K display port monitor that is running at 144hz. Any suggestions on how to get by for perhaps a month or so without having to switch to my old school HP w2007 monitor. I have seen this:. StarTech-DVI-DP-Converter-cable. Would this be my best option?

Solution
Ok so i made an account just to reply to you. i am in the same boat having bought a 2080 super ftw3 ultra in July also. From what i understand you get put onto a waiting list for the card of your choice and when one becomes available you send your old one in and they inspect and send the new one out to you.

Basically you keep your card til teh one you want becomes available then you send it in. This minimsies downtime. You should be ok with your 8800 while your card is being delivered and the new one sentt back
Sep 16, 2020
Ok so i made an account just to reply to you. i am in the same boat having bought a 2080 super ftw3 ultra in July also. From what i understand you get put onto a waiting list for the card of your choice and when one becomes available you send your old one in and they inspect and send the new one out to you.

Basically you keep your card til teh one you want becomes available then you send it in. This minimsies downtime. You should be ok with your 8800 while your card is being delivered and the new one sentt back

Solution

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

I am now in the step up queue for an RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming. I never thought one would be available so I jumped at the chance. :bounce:

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I wonder what is going to happen to all the cards that get traded in? Will they stripped for parts, discarded, or resold? My first thought is they will be tested for functionality and sold in a plain white box as refurbs to whoever they can find willing to make a bulk purchase.