Looks like millions of grainy dots on screen with new monitor.

maskofjojo

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017
Just got a new monitor (Acer Predator XB241YU) and the monitor looks like it has little dots all over it. It is the monitor itself because I have tried it with a PS4 too and it has the same thing.

It is super noticeable on white so if I move this (http://imgur.com/a/gZCXG) white square around my screen it is never a solid block of white but a grainy block.

I have no idea what to do.

Solution
I believe you are talking about the sparkle effect of the matte anti glare coating. Which is normal unless you see white dots on a black screen. Almost all TN gaming panels are like that. However the recent Dell version of this same style monitor 24" 1440p S2417DG has a smoother coating with less grain to it.

maskofjojo

Prominent
Aug 19, 2017

Yeah I have tried hdmi and display port and it looks the same on both

Probot

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I believe you are talking about the sparkle effect of the matte anti glare coating. Which is normal unless you see white dots on a black screen. Almost all TN gaming panels are like that. However the recent Dell version of this same style monitor 24" 1440p S2417DG has a smoother coating with less grain to it.

Solution

linkinpaak

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I bought the Dell S2716DG and my first panel had 1 red subpixel stuck in a closed state, so I RMA'd it (Dell has a great warranty policy) and the replacement monitor I got had no dead/stuck pixels, yet after using it a bit I noticed it seemed grainy - something I didn't notice on my original monitor. Both were the same A07 revision, which I thought was strange to see any real difference like this. If I move an image around the screen the image becomes grainy or pixelated; it's easier to see when moving slow to medium speed, but not too slow or the effect doesn't happen. I still had my original monitor which was yet to be sent back to Dell, so I was able to swap each monitor in and out and recreate the exact same series of events with the same monitor settings and my first monitor was perfect and the replacement was grainy. I honestly can't figure out if it's a defect with the replacement monitor or if the anti-glare coating is grainier on the new model, but it seems that consistency is not great on these monitors. Dell was willing to RMA the replacement monitor, but of course now I'm wondering if I should've just said nothing and lived with one stuck pixel... the grass seems greener on the other side. I can update once I get the second replacement to see if my first monitor was a unicorn with it's perfect screen (other than the one pixel) or if the replacement was really the outlier. The reason I'm posting my anecdote here is that I literally have found nothing even remotely similar to this experience based on any Google searching I've done and this seems to be the closest experience to mine.

linkinpaak

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Updating my previous post now that I have the second replacement. The monitor is somewhere in between the two, In the center of the screen I'm not seeing any grainy dots, but on the left and right (worst on the bottom) it is there just like on my second monitor (the second one suffered from graininess throughout). I'm totally regretting RMA'ing my first monitor for one stuck subpixel. I really can't recommend anyone buy a Dell S2716DG based on what I've seen.