[SOLVED] Looping POST - failed motherboard/CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hi all,

My relatives have an 8 year old PC, which has started playing up - if you switch it on:
  1. the case power LED comes on and the case fans spin up, then
  2. the CPU debug LED on the motherboard flashes and the CPU fan twitches, then
  3. the case power LED goes off and the case & PSU fans spin down, then
  4. the process repeats in a loop (go to step 1) until you power it off by holding the power button down
PC specs:
  • Intel Core i3-4330 (with stock cooler)
  • ASUS Z87-A motherboard
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz DDR3 (2x 4GB)
  • SeaSonic G-Series 450W PSU
  • Fractal Design Define R4 case
  • No GPU (using iGPU), boot device is a Crucial MX500 (2.5"), no other hardware beyond DVD drive
I've tried:
  • removing the motherboard from the case
  • starting it by shorting the jumper pins with a screwdriver to rule out faulty power/reset switches
  • removing the CPU, swabbing the contacts with IPA and reseating it (I also checked the socket on the motherboard for bent pins - there weren't any)
  • removing the RAM, swabbing the contacts with IPA, and reseating them
  • starting it with only 1 stick of RAM (I tried it with each stick)
  • removing everything except the CPU (i.e. no RAM)
  • switching the PSU for a Corsair RM550X
None of the above has made any difference (except when the Corsair PSU cycles, it makes two audible "mechanical switch" sounds).

Does this sound like a bad motherboard/CPU, or something else?

If it does sound like failed motherboard/CPU, are there any motherboards/manufacturers I should look at or avoid these days? It's only going to be used for web browsing and writing letters, so I'm guessing I'd probably be looking at something like a Core i3-10100, a B460/B560 motherboard (with HDMI & DisplayPort outputs), and 2666MHz memory? Ideally, I'm just looking for something that'd be reliable and hopefully go for a good few years without needing to be looked at.

EDIT: I have attached a system speaker to the motherboard, and there are no beeps.

Last edited:
Solution
Yup. The PC had a SeaSonic G-Series 450W PSU in it from when the PC was built in 2013. I did wonder if it was a PSU issue, so I tried it with a Corsair RM550X (which I knew was OK).
Then I think you are pretty safe in assuming it's a board issue, if you've used the breadboarding guide and tried a different PSU.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Right. Model is more important than brand when comparing boards. But again, whatever model you get doesn't really matter if you can't get adequate support for it when you need it. When a guy spends 350 dollars on a motherboard, and can't get it replaced when the onboard LAN adapter fails at 6 months or a year, on a standard three year warranty for motherboards, then it really doesn't add up to a tin crap how good the board was initially or in comparison to anything else.

And, I'm NOT saying that everybody has had the same RMA and warranty experiences with ASUS, because in the past I've had good experiences with them, but they've grown too fat and think they can simply ignore users now and much like MSI with their attempts to bully reviewers, it's something that I just can't put up with. Especially when I see so many others who come here experience the same issues after we've told them to move forward with the RMA or they did it on their own, and got crapped on.
My experience with Gigabyte support has been disastruous -- ASUS on the other hand responded to all my inquiries faster and in a nicer manner.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I assure you, there's a reason this meme is kept at close reach.

AaR98sG.jpg

I make my hardware choices based on facts and logic, not memes and anecdotes. One person’s experience is irrelevant.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience in the past with Asus US customer service, but that doesn’t mean that company is now the same as a person that you now want to go and lynch. (As per the meme you posted).

But yeah, sucks that return periods are so short at the places you shop at. Amazon give you a year, not 30 or 60 days. A year is enough time to figure out if you have a manufacturing defect.

Anything that happens to your hardware after a year is kinda assumed to be your own fault. As system builders that is the risk we take, and if you don’t like it maybe buy a Dell with an extended warranty.

In terms of the best performing, least likely to fail hardware you can buy, it’s Asus every time. Will it take forever for them to fix it if you break it, and will you get <Mod Edit> service if you ask for updates or go all Karen on them on the phone? Probably, so don’t break it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Gigabyte higher than ASUS? My two dead B550 Aorus Pro boards, and my thriving ROG Strix B550-F, would like to have a word. Model > Brand anyway.
This I will agree with model first because some have issues depending on the chipset used.

I will always list Asus last because if you do your research you can find a board that uses better quality parts or has better power regulation for the same or lower price. You only miss out on the gimmick software and things like AI suit that can cause problems or their anti surge detection that is known to give false positives.

The customer service sux for all manufactures I believe this is hit or miss just depending who you can get to answer.

The only numbers I could find for RMA rates was from 2018 and they ranged from 1.6 to about 2.6 for all makers listed that they had at least a 200 sample pool for the manufactures. It also stated some data may be skewed because of Asus using a rapid exchange program for their high end boards so it never actually went into the RMA list.

EDIT a part failure can happen on anything made but yes do your research then buy.

Last edited:
One person’s experience is irrelevant.
Wrong.

It's fair to say that the "average" persons experience is irrelevant, but those of us who spend every day here, often for many hours a day, for years on end, in addition to the PC related work we do in our daily professional lives, puts us in a different category when it comes to "experience" in this regard. Of course, that won't be sufficient for you, and there is absolutely no point in arguing it, so for you, you win, for everybody else, we'll move forward.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I will always list Asus last because if you do your research you can find a board that uses better quality parts or has better power regulation for the same or lower price.
My Gigabyte board was $30 more expensive, died once (replacement DOA) and had worse components than my ROG Strix board.

VRMs on this board are top notch as well.

Amazon give you a year, not 30 or 60 days.
Either they have entirely different laws and rules where you live, or you took the wrong colored pill when Morpheus offered you the choice. Because that absolutely, 200% is not true in the US.

Amazon has ONLY a 30 day policy for returns

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKM69DUUYKQWKWX7

and they do not handle warranty claims for other manufacturers after that period of time.

They DO have a one year warranty on Amazon branded electronics etc., but that is for their OWN products, NOT for other manufacturer or retailer products. They DO NOT offer a one year warranty on an ASUS motherboard, or any other manufacturer that is not themselves. I dislike focusing on a single person other than the OP in a thread, but you are making a lot of vaporous claims and attempting to spread information that is at best, misleading.

You are trying to take information pertaining to Amazon's warranty coverage for "Amazon-branded products" (And also a SELECT few items from other manufacturers that Amazon has a special retailer relationship with, like Rivet furniture products) and attempting to apply that to everything Amazon sells, and that's plain nonsense, but I'll grant you that it might just be a lack of understanding on your part.

Even a newly purchased board bought on Amazon, out of the box, will be referred to the specific 3rd party retailer, not Amazon, if there is a problem, unless Amazon.com was listed as the actual retailer. In that case, you have 30 days. After that, Amazon will refer you to the manufacturer and they MIGHT refer you to the manufacturer anyhow depending on the root cause of your claim. There is no doubt about any of this. It is fact. Easily found with a short search.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My Gigabyte board was $30 more expensive, died once (replacement DOA) and had worse components than my ROG Strix board.

VRMs on this board are top notch as well.
Just to cut to the fishy part.

Those boards were released less than a year ago and your on your 3rd board for your personal build without having any real shop experience. That would say you haven't had the Asus board for even 1 year and have no clue how it will really hold up.

You also forgot about your warranty I guess, I hope you at least got a refund.

And no the Asus does not have better parts.

EDIT Asus tech support just as bad or worse that the rest.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/asus.html?page=2#sort=top_reviews&filter=none

Last edited:
It's particularly bad when you're looking for something else relevant to the thread, but instead come across thread after thread, and feedback after feedback, that supports the main premise you are entertaining. Like this one, which was not what I was looking for in regard to Amazon policy.

This outlines, and of course is AGAIN just a sample of one, just SOME of the issues with the ASUS support policies these days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RU6HIBXCXR7D?ASIN=B07C57Q1XH

There are certainly MANY other shortcomings in other areas not touched upon in that thread. Factually, two moderators with Crosshair boards, and myself with a Hero VIII, and about six others with high end ASUS boards under warranty, which are ONLY the ones I can remember off the top of my head, have all happened in the last two years or so. 9 cases of a high end ASUS board not being satisfactorily handled during a support request or RMA process in a two year period is more than enough for me to put that manufacturer on the naughty list and that is ONLY the ones I personally know of, off the top of my head. There have been a good many others, all similar circumstances. A problem with the board under warranty that doesn't get a satisfactory resolution for the customer.

In MY case, I even went to the ASUS forums and had conversations with Raja, who probably knows more about ASUS boards than just about anybody else in the world on the user facing side of things, and he agreed that it was a ROM problem and he even made efforts to get me in touch with the right people who could override the determination not to warranty the board due to a failed BIOS ROM, and even that didn't get the job done.

That, should NEVER happen, much less happen often enough for it to be in the forefront of your thinking process. If it does, you really need to consider whether you find yourself to be very lucky or not. If you do, then they make the best boards hands down and statistically you are less likely to get a faulty board from ASUS than probably any other manufacturer. But, if there IS a problem, good luck.

Reactions: martinch
D

Deleted member 2720853

That would say you haven't had the Asus board for even 1 year and have no clue how it will really hold up.
Better than dying on me straight up and giving me headaches trying to refund it. I didn't forget about my warranty, requested a replacement and it was DOA. That prompted me to get a refund.

Considering I run everything on stock, and that this board can survive a CMOS reset without corrupting my BIOS (unlike the other one), and it has a well built VRM that can handle pretty much anything, handles any RAM I throw at it like a champ (unlike the other one), while being cheaper, I'd say it's pretty good for my needs and will last way more than I need it to.

How many motherboards have you purchased and installed, in your lifetime?
Why does that even matter? I'm here to give my experience on two models, as I stick by my "model > brand" belief, not the entire motherboard lineup from both Gigabyte and ASUS. And so far the Strix B550-F has been better, and cheaper, than the B550 Aorus Pro, not to mention another user had the exact same board dying on him making him think his CPU is dead, just like my experience.

Yeah, ASUS tech support might be crap like every other manufacturer, definitely, but my experience with them has been much better than with Gigabyte.

Buy what you want, just be well informed of the model you want to purchase. Other B550 Aorus boards may be fantastic, the B550 Aorus Pro sure isn't and should be removed from store shelves. My Strix B550-F might be fantastic, other ASUS B550 boards might not be and should also be removed from store shelves. Be a brand loyalist if you want, even though that's pretty stupid. As I said earlier, I'm going to stick by my beliefs. This thread is derailing quick, so this is my last reply. Don't expect an answer. Want to talk about this, come to DMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because a specific board MODEL didn't work out for a given user, doesn't make it a bad board. There could be any number of reasons why the board died or was DOA. It's when numbers of people within a range of time all report similar failings on a given board model or series that we condemn the board as a poor choice. Every, EVERY single board model that has EVER been made and sold on the consumer market has had SOMEBODY who got a bad sample. That doesn't make the board itself a poor choice or a lesser or better choice than some other comparable board. It just means you were unfortunate. Now, if you got the same board two or three times and all of them were bad, or you got two or three Gigabyte boards in a row with significant problems, that would be a different story.

So, while your experience is certainly valid, a sample of one doesn't mean much as has already been stated here several times. There needs to be a pattern of failure for it to be of any significance.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Either they have entirely different laws and rules where you live, or you took the wrong colored pill when Morpheus offered you the choice. Because that absolutely, 200% is not true in the US.

Amazon has ONLY a 30 day policy for returns

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKM69DUUYKQWKWX7

and they do not handle warranty claims for other manufacturers after that period of time.

They DO have a one year warranty on Amazon branded electronics etc., but that is for their OWN products, NOT for other manufacturer or retailer products.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. In most areas of the world where Amazon operate, the return policy is 1 Year. the US seems to be somewhat of an outlier there. In my jurisdiction it is 1 year. Even still, 30 days seems reasonable, provided you stress test the board for that amount of time. A 30-day burn-in is probably a good idea anyway, and it would certainly bring forth any hidden defects waiting to manifest.

Apologies for the late update, but I ended up getting an ASUS B560M-A, Core i5-11400, and Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR RAM, and it all seems happy. :)

I was going to go with a Core i3, but went with the Core i5 due to local availability and pricing - it was less than £10 more than the i3, and was cheaper than the old i5-10400 (it feels like overkill, but also far better value than the i3...). In terms of motherboards, it was a choice between the ASUS B560M-A or TUF Gaming B560-PLUS, and Gigabyte's AORUS ELITE B560M, and the B560M-A was cheapest/least over-specified.

I was a little worried having read that Rocket Lake runs hot, but it mostly seems to be sitting around 30-35C for normal usage (web browsing), and hits mid-50s when doing more work (patching), although it did briefly hit 85C when installing a new kernel (it did drop back down very quickly, though).

Thanks for your help :) (I will try to work out how to pick the "best answer" in a bit...)

Reactions: Darkbreeze