Lord of the Rings Online Now Free to Play

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I played for an hour and realized why it had to go free. The art style is just uninspired; lacking a more realistic look like AOC, or a great stylized look like WoW. The animation fails to give the game any sense of dynamism; in fact it looked pretty boring. The ui is atrocious; and for a game that has DX11 features to have a ui that looks pixelated and trashy at 1920x1080 is just retarded. Also the storyline failed to inspire any interest. Especially when I got to the first town and it was not readily clear where I was supposed to go; and more importantly why I was going there.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Soon... WoW will be forced to be free too... then what will all the free MMO's do?[/citation]

[citation][nom]TheRockMonsi[/nom]I'm pretty sure there was an article a while back here stating that Blizzard is, at the least, considering making WoW free to play as well. I guess it's only a matter of time until we really find out.[/citation]

Are you both nuts? yeah, I wish it was or would be free,but I bet you anything that this aint gonna happen. Cataclysm coming out.. WoW is the biggest money maker of all MMORPG time. And you actually believe that with them bringing another major expansion there is a hope that it will become free? Yeah, When Blizzard ( or HOPEFULLY another company ) manages to create something significant enough to overshadow WoW , then WoW will have reasons to even consider going free to play. Right now it still makes more money than anything and anyone else. There is no perspective I could see it from that indicates going free is something anyone would ver do with a WoW.

Lotro btw is a great game.. First few lvls might be a tad boring but its great as you level. I used to have a guild.. Work made me abandon the game all of a sudden which was rather sad. Then I started AoC a couple years later and now a few weeks back I renewed my WoW sub... :/ I might go back to Lotro as well for a bit ^^

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]LoTRO is superior to WoW. It actually takes a little bit of thought to play. Or at least it did until Turbine decided to gut major play mechanics and go the same gearcentric route that WoW works on.Regardless, LoTRO is still a better game. I may have to try it again now that it's free.[/citation]
Lol LOTRO superior to WoW?? you either haven't played WoW at all or you don't play enough MMO's trust me LOTRO is nowhere near WoW in anything heck if you are gonna mention a competitor at least start with guild wars 2 but not Lotro

thehockeyinjun

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Free is the way to go! Look at Battlefield Heroes, great game with fun content; if you want customization, you can shell out a few bucks. About time another game is following suit.

They should bring back Earth and Beyond from ea.

Status
Not open for further replies.