Question Losing ip to ISP every so often. (DHCP error)

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
I get a DHCP error and I lose complete access to internet on all devices. Happens every so often around the same time of day anywhere between 12-5pm. My internet will just drop and I have to hit "renew IP address" for it to restore connection.

I have tried replacing ethernet cables, tried 3 different routers and no luck.

I have fiber internet so I don't have a modem, it's just a tiny fiber box with 1 ethernet port.

It's really annoying, can happen multiple times in 1 day and sometimes it won't happen for a few days but I've been having this problem for months.

Any ideas?

This is very strange you should not lose the IP address which is good for a week at a time.

What is also strange is it affects mulitple device. Now I assume when you renew the IP address you are doing that on your PC or are you doing that on the router. If it is on the router then there is a different DHCP timeout that you need to find on the router wan port.

If this is all on the PC side all I can think of is there is a duplcate IP address of maybe your router. Check the ipconfig /all before you do the renew IP and see what it says. If you actually have a IP address and the gateway is properly set to the router then it should work and the renew is cuasing something else to be reset.

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
This is very strange you should not lose the IP address which is good for a week at a time.

What is also strange is it affects mulitple device. Now I assume when you renew the IP address you are doing that on your PC or are you doing that on the router. If it is on the router then there is a different DHCP timeout that you need to find on the router wan port.

If this is all on the PC side all I can think of is there is a duplcate IP address of maybe your router. Check the ipconfig /all before you do the renew IP and see what it says. If you actually have a IP address and the gateway is properly set to the router then it should work and the renew is cuasing something else to be reset.
I am renewing the IP through my routers gateway page. This is not my PC related, entire internet shuts down on all my devices (I have 7 devices, 6 on wifi).
I have tried multiple routers, even brand new one I literally just bought and it gets the same exact error as the last 2 routers. As of me typing this, the problem just occurred.
Internet completely shut down, router showing not grabbing IP, I hit renew IP address and seconds later internet back up and working. Almost as if router leases are not renewing IP correctly and hence shutting down the internet until renewed. There's days I'd wake up from sleep and realize the internet hasn't been working for probably hours because the IP never renewed. But how does that happen on 3 different routers? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What is your setup?

Line diagram:

ISP --- Coax or DSL cable ---> Modem ---> Ethernet cable --->[WAN port] Router[LAN ports] ---> Ethernet cable to wired devices and ~~> to wireless devices.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary as necessary

Make and model information for modem and router(s)?

The next time the network is up run "tracert 8.8.8.8" via the Command Prompt on your computer.

Post the results.

Dylan_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015
ISP --- Fiber cables --- Small Fiber box with 1 ethernet port --- ethernet cable --- WAN port router --- LAN port ethernet cable to PC (only 1 wired device)

3 routers I've tried below -
WNDR4300 netgear
TP Link A7
D-Link AC1300

my "modem" isn't really a modem, it's a tiny fiber box given to me by the ISP and hooked up by my ISP to connect to fiber internet. Only has 1 ethernet port to use for a router or 1 direct connection.

tracert link below
https://gyazo.com/745198706cff9653e344c15592336975