[SOLVED] Losing Wi-Fi Connection In One Specific Room

Boris_yo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi,

There are 3 rooms where only 2 rooms hold connection well.
There is 1 room which does not and I have to change the angle
at which I hold my tablet in order to reconnect and keep connection.

Should I not hold my tablet at specific angle or direction, I soon start
having disconnects and reconnects and cannot hold connection.
The strangest thing is that I have full 4 bar Wi-Fi symbol in my status
bar, yet it still disconnects or my connection bandwidth suffers greatly.

The router transmits in 2.5GHz and I tried changing different channels
but it does not help.

Why does this happen? It does not happen in other 2 rooms.
FYI the tablet is iPad Mini 2.

Solution
WIFI is difficult to troubleshoot, but my GUESS is that you can GET signal from the router but can't SEND signal back. The output of devices is much lower than the output of the router.
Is this dead spot on the same floor as the router? WIFI is designed to mostly radiate horizontally.
Does this house have any ethernet cabling? If so a WIFI access point, connected back to the primary router via ethernet cable is the best option.
If there is no ethernet cabling installed, then a set of powerline network adapters with WIFI like these -- https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16833122820 will provide a second WIFI source in the dead zone and use the home electrical wiring to connect back to the primary router.

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI is difficult to troubleshoot, but my GUESS is that you can GET signal from the router but can't SEND signal back. The output of devices is much lower than the output of the router.
Is this dead spot on the same floor as the router? WIFI is designed to mostly radiate horizontally.
Does this house have any ethernet cabling? If so a WIFI access point, connected back to the primary router via ethernet cable is the best option.
If there is no ethernet cabling installed, then a set of powerline network adapters with WIFI like these -- https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16833122820 will provide a second WIFI source in the dead zone and use the home electrical wiring to connect back to the primary router.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
The dead spot is on the same floor as the router.
Wi-Fi router is connected to ISP modem with LAN cable.
To fix this dead spot you are going to have to get another WIFI radio closer. As I said previously the best way would be an access point connected back to the primary router via ethernet cable. Next best would be an access point connected back by coax (MoCA) or powerline. Last would be a WIFI repeater or mesh device.

TRENDING THREADS