[SOLVED] Loss of bandwidth to out of country servers

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
Hi everyone. Wanted to see if you can help me as I'm desperate.

I pay for a 200mbps download internet and usually get that or more when I test to the optimal server (in my country) but when I test anywhere else I get 10% of that speed all the time. And this is only happening on one device.

So far I've tried:

-Talking to ISP
-VPN
-MAC address spoofing
-Re install Windows
-2 USB lan adapters
-1 USB WIfi adapter
-Hot spot w/ 4G (to rule out the isp being the problem)
-IP change for this device
-Modem/Router Reboot.
-Windows Network Reset

Nothing works, the devices in question is:

PC with Windows 10 PRO
i5 2500k
2080s
16GB ram
Arris Router/Modem.
Asus P8P67Mpro (w a bad lan port hence the use of external adapters)

Adapters:

TPlink Archer T2U Wifi Dongle
Plugable USB ethernet adapter
Teknet USB ethernet adapter

Hotspot:

Iphone XS on a 4G LTE connection

----

All other devices hooked up to wifi or to this same lan cable work great. And this PC used to be fine a few weeks ago.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Solution
This does not make any sense.

It would not be uncommon to get better speedtest numbers on a server close to you. Most times you have to actually test to one of your ISP servers to get the maximum rates. This is all related to how ISP interconnect and which fiber paths that they take between countries.

What makes no sense is all your machines should be affected the same. You have no way to control what path data takes in the internet. Your only option is to send and receive your data on the single line coming to your house. All your machines share the exact same IP from your router so all appear the same to devices on the internet.

Make sure you not have any kind of proxy or vpn set in the browsers but this is...

It would not be uncommon to get better speedtest numbers on a server close to you. Most times you have to actually test to one of your ISP servers to get the maximum rates. This is all related to how ISP interconnect and which fiber paths that they take between countries.

What makes no sense is all your machines should be affected the same. You have no way to control what path data takes in the internet. Your only option is to send and receive your data on the single line coming to your house. All your machines share the exact same IP from your router so all appear the same to devices on the internet.

Make sure you not have any kind of proxy or vpn set in the browsers but this is unlikely if you have reinstalled windows.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe it is IPv6 causing issues. You can get inconsistent results when some sites are using IPv6 ip and other IPv4. IPv6 and IPv4 do take different paths in the internet. Try to disable IPv6 in the nic settings and see if that makes any difference.

Solution

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017

Make sure you not have any kind of proxy or vpn set in the browsers but this is unlikely if you have reinstalled windows.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe it is IPv6 causing issues. You can get inconsistent results when some sites are using IPv6 ip and other IPv4. IPv6 and IPv4 do take different paths in the internet. Try to disable IPv6 in the nic settings and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your answer I do agree it doesn't make any sense I just tried the IPv6 disable trick and it didn't work, I'm going to boot on Linux now and do the speed test from there. Will be back with findings.

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
Are you doing anything with this specific PC in reference to the out of country servers that is against or violate your TOS with ISP? For instance, pirated materials, illegal torrent sites and such as that?

Hi, No I'm not. But if that was the case the ISP would have told me so I suppose and changing the MAC address would have solved that?

Anyway I loaded Ubuntu on a USB drive and got the 200MBPS out of the country back. Runs SUPER fast.

So it's Windows... Now I gotta figuring out why this is happening is going to be a PITA.

I don't really want to do a clean re install (previous one I kept my apps) but it's starting to sound like I have no choice.

It is more likely it the browser and not windows itself. You could I guess try to install some other browsers.

Not sure how to test this anymore. Used to be able to use line mode FTP but I am unsure if windows has the FTP command any more and even if it does I don't know of a FTP server.

Maybe see how fast steam or maybe epic downloads some free games. Be careful those report in BYTES/sec. Those donwloader have their own client and do not use setting in the browsers.

Maybe there is some proxy or vpn set in the browser.

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
It is more likely it the browser and not windows itself. You could I guess try to install some other browsers.

Not sure how to test this anymore. Used to be able to use line mode FTP but I am unsure if windows has the FTP command any more and even if it does I don't know of a FTP server.

Maybe see how fast steam or maybe epic downloads some free games. Be careful those report in BYTES/sec. Those donwloader have their own client and do not use setting in the browsers.

Maybe there is some proxy or vpn set in the browser.

Thanks for the ideas, tried 2 different browsers with the same result.

I did go on Steam and started downloading Halo Infinite at 25MB/s which sounds about right for 200Mbps. Im confused though since 2 days ago it took me a whole 9-10 hours to download like 32Gb from Microsoft. (Flight Simulator). Also the media creation tool took for ever to download.

I wonder what's going on!

Kpeterscr

Honorable
May 5, 2017
So this is getting weirder and weirder.

I bought an SSD installed a fresh copy of windows 10 and the speed was back to where it was supposed to be. 2 Days later it's terrible again. Any ideas?