Loss of GPU, followed by loss of integrated graphics, followed by MSI mobo error code: 00

May 6, 2018
Hello all,
My computer specs are:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
MSI R9 380 Gaming 4G
Intel i5 4690K
Rosewill Gold 600W PS
2x G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB RAM

Recently I was playing the free weekend of XCOM 2 when suddenly my screen went black. The sound continued as usual and the computer and all fans remained on, just the screen suddenly had no input. I have 2 monitors and both went black. So I rebooted the PC and was met with the startup windows sound, but still no signal to either monitor. Checking my GPU, the lights were on but the fans were not spinning.
So I switched my HDMI over to integrated graphics and they worked fine. I began to research the problem using integrated graphics and found that my gpu was no longer recognized on my PC, it was greyed out in device manager. Next, I went to MSI quickboot and pressed Go2Bios, which instantly reboots and sent my PC to BIOS. There, it showed that all my PCI slots were empty, so my GPU was not being recognized. This is when things went really wrong. I decided to switch my GPU to a different PCI slot to see if that would work. I shut down my PC and switched the GPU to my second slot, only to find that now the integrated graphics no longer worked either. I was getting no signal to my monitor at all now. I reset the CMOS by removing and flipping the battery, and also by holding a screwdriver to the CMOS pins. Nothing was bringing back my integrated graphics. So I went on my laptop and ordered a new GPU with one day delivery from Amazon and called it a night.
This morning I received the new GPU, a XFX Radeon RX 580 and installed it, only to find that it did not provide any signal either. I then noticed that my Motherboard was giving the error code "00" also referred to as "D0". I began to research this new issue using my laptop and have tried many methods to fix it. I detached all components that weren't necessary, like the GPU, HDD and SSD. I read it was possibly a bent pin in the CPU, which I figured was possible because 2 weeks ago I installed a new CPU cooler and may have bent something in the process. But I removed the CPU and couldn't see anything that looked like a bent pin, so I reseated the CPU but was met with no change. I also removed the RAM and installed a single stick in different slots, but that didn't work either.
Today I ordered a new ASUS B85M-E/CSM DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard but it won't get here for a few days. Is it likely that my motherboard is the issue and this new motherboard will solve my problems?
Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to fix it? I just don't understand why my integrated graphics were working fine and then disappeared as soon as I went in to BIOS/changed my GPU to a different PCI slot. I didn't even change any settings in BIOS.
Also is there any risk in plugging my old GPU into a friend's computer to see if it still works?
While my integrated graphics were working I was so certain it was a GPU issue, but then the integrated graphics went too and I started noticing the "00" error code, which seems quite common with this board.
I'm just having a tough time trying to figure out what is wrong with my PC and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Solution
it does sound like it could be a motherboard issue.

When your new one arrives, try powering it in before you mount it in the case. Remove all non essential components out of the loop.
Then add them in bit by bit
May 6, 2018

Yeah the RAM is being installed correctly, it was working fine for over 2 years before this incident, and then I tried many different combinations of my 2 ram cards in different slots and none of them worked. Unfortunately I don't think that is what is causing my problems :(

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
it does sound like it could be a motherboard issue.

When your new one arrives, try powering it in before you mount it in the case. Remove all non essential components out of the loop.
Then add them in bit by bit

Solution