Lost 100+ FPS Overnight

Dec 11, 2018
Predator G9-793_1177 (its a laptop)
Intel i7-7700
gtx 1070
16gb ram
Everything is on my ssd

I was playing BF3 last night when i noticed the game felt laggy. So, I put up the ole fps counter and i was getting 25 fps. Usually im above 125fps. Thats an orgin game so i tried steam. Play Post Scriptum and I have like 10 fps when i used to have 50+. Tried minecraft; I used to be at 250+ Fps now im at 50fps. Restarted the pc multiple times. Got rid of any unsafe files. Did a full pc scan for viruses. Reinstalled my nivida driver. While in task manager, nothing is using up my computer besides the game being played. I used cc cleaner and disk defrag. Nothing is working. This is so bizarre for me. Usually I can figure out problems like this, but not this time. I do take this laptop to college and back. I am careful with it.

Dec 11, 2018

Idle:
CPU Frequency 3438 MHz
CPU Temp 40 C, GPU 35 C, System 31 C (degrees Celsius)

Under Load:
CPU Frequency 1492 MHz
CPU Temp 42 C, GPU 38 C, System 32 C

Dec 11, 2018

I download everything at school since my internet is really slow at home. Im pretty sure I downloaded updates for Windows Office, just regular windows updates, Nvidia experience, and I downloaded Java. Then thats when my fps disappeared. No errors that i can see.I dont see anythign strange on moniter. I have never done a full clean driver install... should i do one?

btw like last week my computer started with a black screen. Would not go away. I rebooted and it started a disk repair. not sure if thats relavant

Dec 11, 2018

Just did.. nothing changed

Dec 11, 2018

Its in high performance. As far as I know, I did not touch any settings for the FPS drop to happen.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
You system is behaving almost as if it isn't under load, those temps are low but the frequency dropping like that is usually a sign if high temps. I would start by checking your bios to see if there are any throttling options.

Is it possible a temp sensor could be malfunctioning? Either the CPU is hotter than it is reporting? I don't know anything about laptop sensors.

I would still take a poke around in the bios, check temps there and see if any settings look off. Maybe even reset to default.

Dec 11, 2018

I cant find the temps in my bios

Dec 11, 2018

Its really that bad? If I update the bios and reinstall Windows and still that doesnt work? I guess I will have to take it to a computer repair shop.

I appreciate everyone that tried to help!

Dec 11, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from michaelpj199 : "CPU Lacking All Performance on Laptop (-100 FPS Overnight)"

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3842361/lost-100-fps-overnight.html

My laptop completely lost its performance over night. My cpu temperatures don’t change under load and the frequency drops (assuming these reasons are the problem). I tried every simple thing to fix it (virus scan, clean fans, and etc). This was discussed on another the other forum linked above.

I just need some guidance what to do next. I don’t have a warranty on it. I’d rather not work on the computer physically.

Any feedback or help is very much appreciated!

Thanks.