Lost 500GB of HDD space after defragment

folded

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Hi,

My PC can only see half of my 1TB HDD after I did a defragment. I did some research but I do not really know what to do next. I did the error checking and redid the defrag but did not word. I have also done the reduction of the shadowstorage to 2gb.

http://imgur.com/a/7TWs9

folded

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
it used to be all in C but as you have pointed out, it had been partitioned now. I dont have a D partition before I started the defrag. I have no data stored there taht I know of. Should I go ahead and format it? Is there a way that it will all be in C again?

I don't know how defragmenting created a new partition. You should be able to go into disk management, actions, all tasks, click on the D partition, and hit delete volume. Then click on the C partition and hit extend volume. Just be very careful that you are performing the tasks on the correct partition so you don't delete any data or programs on the C partition.

folded

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
ok i have done it, sadly the extend volume part is grayed out. I tried google and it also shows what you told me. Any clue why it is greyed out? I could just format it and have D drive but it leaves C drive full to the brim which is a headache to micromanage

USAFRet

Titan

You can only extend a partition to the Right.
In your current config, the old D (empty partition) is to the left of the C.

You'll need to use some 3rd party partition management tool.