Question Lost all USB in Win10 after update, USB still work in UEFI or WinRE, Kyhi's etc - how to sort it out?

Mar 2, 2023
Title says it all. The gigantic problem comes from the fact that the system affected (Asus ROG G20AJ) has no PS2, no serial and no means to do any input without USB. I'm just watching the damn thing boot all the way to desktop and I can only shutdown via power button.
Things tried: 1. WinRe ->uninstall update -> unspecified error
2. WinRE -> restore point -> did not fix problem
3. Use a PCI-e to USB adapter card -> not recognized in Windows (did not showed any pop-up about driver installation, mouse attached to card doesn't work). Could try other models but not readily available
4. Change UEFI USB settings (probably tried all combinations)
5. UEFI reset by jumper (cannot remove battery would have to tear down the whole damn thing)
6. Safe mode -> no USB there either

Essentially the Keyboard and mouse work in UEFI or Win RE or Kyhi's boot disk etc but as soon as Windows 10 starts loading they are off. After boot no USB stick is recognized etc.

Reinstall Windows would be absolutely last resort, the computer has an insane amount of games with huge downloads etc.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Reinstall Windows would be absolutely last resort, the computer has an insane amount of games with huge downloads etc.
You can't even (re)install the chipset drivers for your platform, which would only mean that the you need to reinstall the OS afresh, after recreating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. So long as you don't have mission critical files, you can download the games again. Personal documentation is what's actually mission critical.

Asus ROG G20AJ
You try working with the black USB ports on the back of the prebuilt SFF AIO?

Are you able to get into SafeMode? perhaps you can reinstall your chipset drivers there?

Mar 2, 2023
Thank you guys. I tried all USB ports, none works as soon as Windows starts loading. I have entered safe mode but USB doesn't work there either. Sadly, remote desktop is NOT enabled.

Is there any way to boot a different OS (Kyhi's disk etc) and from there to edit the registry of my Win 10 installation in order to turn automatic updates to ON? This way a new update would hopefully fix the problem.

P.S. Computer is not an AIO, is a full fledged SFF gaming machine based on a H97 custom form motherboard. It has regular desktop CPU, SSD, 3.5' HDD, video card etc. The only non standard things except the motherboard are the memory (laptop memory) and the power source (two big laptop bricks).

Mar 2, 2023
Thank you, that would be perfect (to enable remote desktop and sort it out from another machine). How do I do that?

I can boot WinRE from my own installation, mouse and keyboard work without problem in WinRE

Thank you, that would be perfect (to enable remote desktop and sort it out from another machine). How do I do that?
How to enable remote desktop:
https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-on-Remote-Desktop-Using-Regedit

Firewall rules are located in registry:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules
Find keys
RemoteDesktop-UserMode-In-TCP
RemoteDesktop-UserMode-In-UDP
Edit data values to Action=Allow and Active=TRUE

Reactions: Adr1an_
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking to do. How do I access and edit the registry locally? I can make it to WinRE command prompt.
Boot from windows installation media
Run regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Load HKLM\System registry hive - File\Load hive (C:\windows\System32\config\SYSTEM)
Note - in recovery environment drive letters can be different. It could be D:\windows\System32\config\SYSTEM or some other drive letter.
Edit registry values.
After done, unload hive. If you forget to unload, this can lead to corrupted registry.

Reactions: Adr1an_
Mar 2, 2023
Thanks a lot man, it worked like a charm. I had to overcome the fact that remote desktop won't log me in due to the local account being without password, but another registry edit and I'm in. :)
Turns out the USB ports are disabled because Windows couldn't load the drivers due to registry corruption. I suppose the Win Update messed up something. Reinstalling the Intel chipset driver didn't helped.
I'll check whether the Asus website has a driver for the USB3 ports and report back.

Mar 2, 2023
OK, I'm totally unable to sort this out. The Intel driver package reinstall does nothing. Uninstalling the two Enhanced PCI to USB host controllers does nothing (Windows just adds them back still under Code 19). I cannot find any suitable INF files for Intel 9th gen chipset (H97) .

Any suggestions how to go about it?
Hardware ID's for the Enhanced PCI to USB host controllers is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CAD&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_00