[SOLVED] Lost document file

Status
Not open for further replies.

localm007

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I know this is Toms”hardware” and not Toms”software” but... Can anyone share with me a gimmick free/non blackmail software just like RECUVA for MAC computers? I lost a 7 page document with Microsoft word

Solution
How did you lose the file?
Office has it's own file recovery in case you lose files on a crash or unexpected shutdown and restart.
To find the files, they're in the AutoRecovery folder. You can find them in the Finder under /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery

If it was deleted then try PhotoRec
When you delete a file and want to recover it you should stop creating more files, since those files could be written on top of the deleted file and could make the recovery more difficult.

How did you lose the file?
Office has it's own file recovery in case you lose files on a crash or unexpected shutdown and restart.
To find the files, they're in the AutoRecovery folder. You can find them in the Finder under /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery

If it was deleted then try PhotoRec
When you delete a file and want to recover it you should stop creating more files, since those files could be written on top of the deleted file and could make the recovery more difficult.

Solution

localm007

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I didn’t. I did set it up after this incident so it doesn’t happen again... programs made for Microsoft products don’t work very well with OSX and unfortunately my wife’s college requires you to use Microsoft word.

localm007

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I am not sure what happened. We turned on the laptop this morning and opened word, we tried to open the file and it wasn’t able to locate it in documents, we checked the trash folder and it wasn’t in there either. We tried word auto recovery but we couldn’t locate that either...

Which version of Office do you have?
Maybe the file was not save locally.
I have seen your issue before, where files just disappear, and it has to do with file corruption.
The file corruption could be related to just the Office app or the OS.

localm007

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017

localm007

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
I believe it’s Microsoft office 365. It’s weird because now the file is there under recent documents but the prompt is empty. There used to be a 7 page essay!

Office 365 could save your files locally or online in your OneDrive storage.
Files saved online might not be available if you are not connected online.
I suggest you configure Office to save documents on your laptop by default. You could have copies online in case you want to have access from another location.

stdragon

Admirable
It's typical M$. It's the little changes they do to shift the momentum away from local and over to cloud based dependencies by default.

As with Apple as well, Microsoft views all client device (phones, tablets, laptops, and PCs) as replaceable edge devices that merely compliment the overall core cloud based experience. So with that philosophical world-view in mind, these changes are 100% to be expected now and the into future.

Status
Not open for further replies.