Lost hard disk space after wiping files using "file shredder" in vista?

farhanc007

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hello My question is I wiped files from hard disk using "file shredder" but when I check free space on hard disk the wiped memory is not returned to free space how do I get that memory back in vista?
Mr drive is "WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B SCSI Disk Device"

Any help appreciated?

yours

Farhan

Solution
I would recommend you use windirstat and lets see what these files actually are...
As for how the files got back. It could be something performing a system restore, hibernation file, restore points, virus activity...

farhanc007

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Hello my settings was guttman algorithm 35 passes.

I right clicked on the files I wanted wiped and used the wipe later setting then I ran the program clicked Shred files now bar and the software started. the disk space did not change it got less.
I ran CHKDSK twice first only automatically fix file system errors then I checked the other box for bad sectors.
Still the disk space has not changed

yours

Farhan

popatim

Titan
if i remember right, theres a bug in the gutman method with it set to 99 in that it cant delete the file. It needed to be set to 35 or lower.

as for the file growth, It could be that the shredded files now occupy the full sectors instead of partials. ie a 1 byte file in a 4k byte cluster would now read as 4k in size.
- or that the files were moved to the recycle bin and it needs emptying.

farhanc007

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hello I did another full CHKDSK clicking both options and my hard disk went from 4.4??GB to 83.?? GB how did the space get back. When I used auslogics Defrag the map originally look all un-fragmented with only a small amount of free space. Once I used it again after I got my space back the map looked totally fragmented except where there was free space and protected disk space.

Why do you think that disk space was missing and how come it returned after a number of days?

If it happens again what should I do to get the space back? or should I wait for the space to return by itself?
I look forward to your thoughts.

Yours

Farhan

Len Kahle

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014