"Lost" Hard Drive

sikburns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I have two drives on my machine, each in two partitions. One of which is a 20Gb drive split roughly in two. I wanted to merge these partitions using Partition Majic 8 and found that it wouldn't let me because "File Size Does Not MAtch Allocation For File".
I gave up on this then converted one of my other partitions on another disk to NTFS. After the computer had rebooted with a successful convert neither of my two partitions from the 20Gb disk was visible in My Computer nor could any program access the data on the disk. It was as if the hard disk had been physically disconected.
The hard drive and both paartitions CAN be seen in partition majic.

Help!! Can I get my drive and data back?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
One of the most useful programs for recovering partitions is Active Partition Recovery. It should be able to discover the partition data and rewrite it to the disk for you so when you reboot the partition will appear in windows. If that fails to work try using File Scavenger to read the disk. It can restore data to a separate disk whilst preserving the directory structure.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

sikburns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Thanks for the help.

I figured out the problem; somwhere in the jumble of all of the attempted processes the partitions had lost their drive letters.

I've re-added them and I can now access everything.

Cheers