Lost HDD`s, short?

Sep 4, 2018
So i was gonna hook up the last out of 2 HDD`s so that i could do a backup of all my data. But the powercord i was using from my PSU to me drives was too short to reach the last HDD. Then i grabbed a harness lying right next to me that belongs to an older PSU without thinking too much, i then hook that harness up to my new computer and new PSU and started the computer.

I then noticed that none of the drives was present anywhere, not even as uknown devices. I then switched back to the first setup i had where HDD 1 was hooked up on the same string of powersupply as my 2 SSD were, and the last drive wasnt hooked up at all..in other words the same way it was when it was working. But then....THAT HDD doesnt come back either.

It doesnt seem to start even...have i SEROUSLY just shorted out both of my HDDs and lost EVERYTHING i have of 3D and music production the last 17 years in the same operation as when i was gonna back it up for the first time!? ....im distraught to say the least :eek: i feel like Murphy is watching me :(

"have i SEROUSLY just shorted out both of my HDDs and lost EVERYTHING"

Perhaps....because if that "harness lying right next to me that belongs to an older PSU".....

even though it fit.......may not have been wired properly.

There are PSU cables....that if installed in a different PSU.....will have the wrong voltages at the wrong terminals......and this can cause things like HDDs to fail.

Sep 4, 2018
I know my way around a multimeter, is there any way i can measure if the drive is still alive with one? Im about to measure the psu wire from the old psu and doing the same to the new psu wire to map or get a diagram drawn out to see if they match according to the PSU suppliers specs of output pins. But yeah am i able to do some sort of problemsolving on the HDD with a multimeter also? I read around that most other HDD shorts result in both a burnt smell and sometimes sparks can be seen different areas along the line, sometimes even abit of smoke. I had none of these.

Sep 4, 2018
Ive come to find out the difference(or i think i have) on the connectors. Seems all the wires was correct except for 2 plugs that i have crossed. Ive sent the Yellow 12V to where the Red 5V should be, so it seems that those 2 plugs are switched on the new PSU. So basically ive been sending 12V into where the 5V should be and vice versa. This means they are fried doesnt it? :(

" I read around that most other HDD shorts result in both a burnt smell and sometimes sparks can be seen different areas along the line"

It can, but not necessarily. All it takes is a small trace/component to blow and the drive is done for....and a small trace/component burning doesn't give much smell or a light show.

If you really want to get the files back, a data recovery place may have a good chance of getting the drives working either by moving the platters to another drive or by swapping the boards on your drives. Would be a bit pricey though, the one time I needed to do something for work to get files back it cost us $500 for two drives that failed in a RAID array, that is not a set price though, it may be lower or higher depending on the work needed.

Sep 4, 2018

I found very obvious evidence of overheating/over-voltage like a few discoloured nodes and also abit of foam melted onto one of the chips

EP000001

Reputable
May 10, 2016
The data on the drives should be ok.

I don't know how important your data is however, if it's crucial then:

You just need to find HDD motherboards from identical working drives and swap them in to the fried drives.

You may consider getting someone who has electronics experience to assist in that operation.

or,

You may possibly be able to do it yourself, just be really careful. Treat the operation as though it was a human heart transplant...

1.) First look around for working drives, especially on eBay, get drives that are the exact model drives, with the exact firmware version, HDD size etc...as the fried ones.

2.) once purchased make sure you attach your exposed skin, such as your arm to a grounded pipe. Or wrap wire around your wrist and attach the wire to your water tap pipe etc... This will provide a ground connection in case you are statically charged during the operation transplant process. For static electricity can damage electronics.

3.) remove the motherboards from the recently purchased drives.

4.) remove the motherboards from the fried drives. DO NOT GET THEM MIXED UP! Care must be taken when disconnecting any connections from motherboard to drive motors etc...especially the plastic film type connector(s), they can tear, they are fragile.

5.) carefully install the new boards into the fried drives. Taking special care again with the connectors from motherboard to drive mechanic motors etc...

When all done, ensure you plug the drives into a compatible machine that you know works properly.

You may also want to have a digital camera handy and take photos as you go along in case you want to backtrack your actions.

It's not an easy task however, not all is lost!

@rotekonto03, a straight PCB swap will almost never work. That's because each PCB stores unique, "adaptive" calibration data in a serial flash memory chip. This chip, or its contents, need to transferred from patient to donor. PCB vendors such as hdd-parts.com will include the transfer in the price of the PCB, usually US$50 or less.

Alternatively, there may be a simple, no cost, DIY fix.

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

Sep 4, 2018

Sorry i have to ask since you called me Rotekonto03...ive listed my name as Thomas......how can i change the name that appears in the top bar?

Sep 4, 2018

Yessir, i will be doing this next month actually....better to have tried than lost for nothing :) Thanks for the info