Question lost mp3 files after upgrade to windows 11

empireurn

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
hi, i upgraded from win10 to win11 .... and found that whole folders containing mp3 files downloaded from youtube (with 4k youtube to mp3 downloader) had been deleted - not to reccyle bin and seemingly not visible to recovery software - tried drill disk and recuva. Microsoft say it's not their fault, app company says it's not their fault.... has anyone had this .. and have a fix?! massive issue for me - i have lost thousands of music tracks, many edited end even renamed. I have rolled back to win 10 as advised by microsoft, who siad they would reappear - but they have not.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you can't find them anywhere with software like that and you're not seeing them when you search through all directories when using something like TreeSize, then they're gone.

Unfortunately, data not backed up is usually lost sooner or later. It's why making proper, regular backups of important files, ideally multiple backups in multiple locations, has long been considered a very basic part of PC upkeep.

hi, i upgraded from win10 to win11 .... and found that whole folders containing mp3 files downloaded from youtube (with 4k youtube to mp3 downloader) had been deleted - not to reccyle bin and seemingly not visible to recovery software - tried drill disk and recuva. Microsoft say it's not their fault, app company says it's not their fault.... has anyone had this .. and have a fix?! massive issue for me - i have lost thousands of music tracks, many edited end even renamed. I have rolled back to win 10 as advised by microsoft, who siad they would reappear - but they have not.
Are only MP3 files "lost", or all your personal files?
How did you perform the upgrade? From within Windows 10, or booting Win11 media?
Are you sure they are not somewhere in Windows.old folder?