Lost personalization setting windows 7 starter

LoveDH

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
I have a Lenovo G400 under windows 7 starter 32-bit. The problems came about when I was trying to download the latest versions of adobe flashplayer, ytd and avast but the .exe files won't install (i.e.would stop responding). Sometimes, window explorer and microsoft word (2010) would also hang/crash/stop responding. So I did an sfc scan but then it would stop at 74% with a msg saying it could not perform... And so I did disk cleanup and scans for viruses/malicious software using the installed up-to-date antivirus Microsoft security essentials and no viruses/malware were found. Then I did a chkdsk (assuming that C drive is dirty bec when I try to write the command in the cmd prompt it won't run) twice-the 2nd one ran by itself. The result stated that the drive is clean. So I performed sfc scan in safe mode. When it was completed, it says that some errors (?) were unable to be fixed and the changes will occur after the reboot. After restarting, I lost the personalization panel and could not change the screen background. What should I do? It just started from hanging then losing some settings. Thank you in advance.