Lost Product Key

Sam

Hi,

I have lost the windows 2000 server CD and I need to
migrate the server to new hardware. IS their a way to find
out the product key from the old running server.

Thanks
/Sam

Greetings --

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use AIDA32
Enterprise from http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php to find the Product
Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product Key;
therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be --
used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
OS; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have lost the windows 2000 server CD and I need to
> migrate the server to new hardware. IS their a way to find
> out the product key from the old running server.
>
> Thanks
> /Sam

JJ

HI Sam

Assuming that you're using this server for your own personal use (so you're
not going to violate the licensing agreement),

Belarc Advisor can find this out for you.

The software is free for personal use - it's quick - it's only 600K and the
results come up in a web page. On my personal system, it lists not only the
W2K key, but also the Office key.

http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

Good luck,

JJ