Lots of stop errors on my new PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Morinav

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Ok, so this is weird.

As my part list states, I have 2x512 sticks in my machine, giving me a gigabyte of ram. I had the RAM running in interleaved mode. I don't know exactly what interleaved mode does, but it sounds like it's faster than single channel mode.

So when I ran MemTest86+, it failed within 10 minutes. I took out the RAM and tested each module seperately, one at a time, in both of the DIMM slots on my motherboard. Both of the RAM chips passed the tests running for over 12 hours straight, no errors. Then I tried putting the RAM in single channel mode, it failed within 10 minutes. I tried putting it back in interleaved mode, still fails within 10 minutes.

So...1 RAM module and my computer is fine
2 RAM modules and my computer is mysteriously unstable.

Any ideas why?

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I dont know why but some memory modules just dont work together, but work well with other modules or alone. I used to make lots of test using different motherboards,

I experienced this alot with old pc100/133 sdrams. I dont know about the new ddr and ddr2. I think it isnt that usual nowadays.

The interleaved mode is i suppose that (while using up memory) instead of filling one module first and then the other you fill them both : one byte to one module, one byte to the other module; one byte to one module, one byte....
or similar.
Im not sure if thats what the actual dual channel mode is.

Another cause could be the psu. 2 modules use more power than one and if psu is faulty it might not give enough.

Morinav

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Are the ram modules identical? Are you running at stock speed now?

Yes, they are 100% identical, and yes I've been running at stock speed for a very long time.

What's a good way to test the PSU?

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006

The module incompatibility that i mentioned above shouldnt of course be the issiue if the modules are indeed identical.
In that case i would turn my suspicions towards the psu and the motherboard.

It could help very much if you found a friendly soul with similar hardware to test yours.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006

Yes, they are 100% identical, and yes I've been running at stock speed for a very long time.

What's a good way to test the PSU?

Some say to measure voltages with multimeter but you cant do that under load. The simplest would be to find another psu and replace yours; use your psu in another computer...
If you dont have warranty anymore you could open the psu and visually assess the state of the internals (burned components, leaking capacitors...)
I cant come up with anything else now...

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
You know - the memory slots you choose to use can matter too.Maybe your motherboard has a preference, like using slots closer to the processor first...

Maybe your memory simply isnt compatible with the motheboard.

Anyways it will be hard to troubleshoot without a reference system that works.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Morinav try this for comparison

A few years ago I built a PC for my son using an early dual channel MB. I always install only one stick of RAM and then test for POST then try the other stick. In this instance both worked independantly, however when installing them together - one in each channel - things went awry. I started getting very similar stop errors with those you have encountered.

What I had discovered was (after googling) a latency problem when running in dual channel mode on that MB. My first test was to swap out the memory and use the sticks from my own top-end machine at the time. This memory had much more timing lee-way and caused no problems. To confirm this I used the problem memory in my own machine and see how it performed; it was fine. The solution was to back off the timings on the memory very slightly to accommodate this latency. Since then that machine has worked without a flaw for 2 years.

Unfortunately, as it has been so long since I fiddled around with that machine I have forgotten the exact details in the fog of more recent projects.

I'm not saying this is the same problem you have but the symptoms are spookily similar. Judge as you see fit.

Good luck.

Q

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can be anything.
It deasnt mean anything. Its not less or equal period.
Sounds like the programmers forgot to finish it. Maybe they got stunned?
The mystery will prevail since the ms is not free software.

Hay, lets have a contest on what it is not less or equal.

driver irql is not less or equal Britney Spears' talent.
driver irql is not less or equal the size of your t-shirt
driver irql is not less or equal the holes in your teeth
cab driver less equal at stop signs or equal as a noob

dermotti

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Looking at your original post, i really don't see a problem with that power supply running the equipment you purchased.

Few things to verify. Is your ram really 1.8v ram? Check the specs again just in case you are undervolting.

Also, you said you were runnig your e6300 @ 1.300 volts. Isn't 1.320 stock? Just some other things to look at.

But Yea it looks like you may just have incompatable ram.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL can be anything.
It deasnt mean anything. Its not less or equal period.
Sounds like the programmers forgot to finish it. Maybe they got stunned?
The mystery will prevail since the ms is not free software.

Hay, lets have a contest on what it is not less or equal.

driver irql is not less or equal Britney Spears' talent.
driver irql is not less or equal the size of your t-shirt
driver irql is not less or equal the holes in your teeth
cab driver less equal at stop signs or equal as a noob

?????

Morinav

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Allright, I'm 100% certain it's the RAM.

I popped in 2x512 Samsung ( I think it was samsung) PC 5400 sticks into my computer and it ran just fine.

I'm going to contact NewEgg today and see if I can't return this and buy something new. Gigabyte's website recommends a model of Kingston, thinking of picking that up.