Loud bang and flashes

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
I have just been upgrading my pc and decided to run a benchmark test to see if everything is working the way it should. About half way through the test my GPU was performing at 99% then 3 bright flashes appeared followed by what sounded like a fire cracker when off in my case. I don't know what caused this but I'm hoping it was just the case of a PSU giving in.
My specs are
750w PSU
R9 280x GPU
I5 4460 CPU
16 GB ddr3 RAM

Thanks really need a solution

Solution
Start by removing all components from the tower. Visually inspect each one for and signs of discoloration or black marks or burst capacitors. While there smell each one for the scent of burnt silicone. If all looks and smells good, try replacing the power supply first. Reconnect only the fans, motherboard, and processor. Attempt to boot. If all progresses add RAM. Again test. Keep adding components back one at a time to test.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Start by removing all components from the tower. Visually inspect each one for and signs of discoloration or black marks or burst capacitors. While there smell each one for the scent of burnt silicone. If all looks and smells good, try replacing the power supply first. Reconnect only the fans, motherboard, and processor. Attempt to boot. If all progresses add RAM. Again test. Keep adding components back one at a time to test.

Solution

tom1234567

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015

It doesn't even switch back on though

Yeah that's typical major failure of a PSU. What make and model was it, hope it was a decent unit as that would mean it should have had good protection for your system. If its a low quality unit such a spectacular failure is likely to mean an expensive fix