Loud CPU Fan On Early Start up

Krok1g

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
My CPU fan has recently been making a loud buzzing sound on the first boot of the day....if I let the PC run, after several minutes the noise goes away. However if i reboot right after windows has loaded, the noise is gone at startup. From what I've read, it sounds like a failing bearing, that quiets down once warmed up?....but why would the reboot fix what normally takes several minutes to go away? Also, its currently idle @ 10-12c, and the noise has never came back after a restart. Just want to confirm if my fan is or isn't failing.

Solution
I'll try to help, but honestly don't know much about it. Do you think maybe you could use a program like SpeedFan to factor out the possibility of the problem being electrical? Is it a PWM fan plugged into a header?

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
I'll try to help, but honestly don't know much about it. Do you think maybe you could use a program like SpeedFan to factor out the possibility of the problem being electrical? Is it a PWM fan plugged into a header?

Solution

Krok1g

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Not sure exactly the model of the fan, it is a coolermaster. Speedfan doesn't even read my CPUs temperature, I have to use open hardware monitor for that. And when I do run speedfan, there are 3 fan controls with Pwm written next to them and all are at 0%. Not sure if that helps at all. and what would "plugged into a header" mean?

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
On your motherboard, there will be 3 or 4 pins close to the CPU socket to plug in a fan specifically for the CPU. If it's 3 pins, you can't control the fan, but if it's 4 pins, there's 2 pins for sensor and control.

Krok1g

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Ok just looked, there are 3 pins, however the plug from the CPU fan is a 2 pin socket. (1 pin still exposed) Edit: Sorry, I didn't unplug the fan, so it quite possibly could be 4 pins total, and 3 are covered.

allocco91

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Try switching the connection so the opposite pin is exposed. I think the pin you want exposed is the speed sensor, because you can't control it anyway. If not, try connecting it via molex if it has that connection.

Edit: In that case, you want the control pin exposed.

Krok1g

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Alright, attempted to do as you suggested, unfortunetly the plastic fittings only allow for the socket to fit on the bottom 3 pins.(Where it is). However I noticed when I took the case off that the sound IS still there when I thought it wasn't, just much quieter than the initial boot(very feint grinding noise).....which is further leading me to believe it is a bearing. I have a new PSU and GPU arriving tomorrow which is what had me concerned about this, I think I'm going to be safe about it and order a CPU fan to have on standby incase this fan does start failing. Thanks very much for trying to help allocco91 :)