Question Loud Fan

Jan 2, 2021
Hello,

I just replaced my CPU on Motherboard - ( Hawlett 3047h) I previously had a Phenom ii X3 B75 and I replaced it with Phenom ii X4 B95. Now my PC is really loud. Is there something I could have done wrong? This is my first CPU replacement. I did apply thermal paste and cleaned it with alcohol before replacement.

You went from 3 cores to 4 so you're likely producing more heat.

Did you improve your CPU cooling with an upgrade or still using the cooler from the 3 core chip ? How about your case airflow ? Do you have plenty of intake and exhaust airflow ?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
A hotter chip, will need more fan speed, or larger air cooler. If your using the same cpu cooler, on a hotter chip, the fan must increase speed to cool the CPU.

Sounds like everything is fine. I would just check CPU temps and fan speed. Make sure your cooler can handle that cpu. As long your not pegging thermal limits you should be good to go.

If you want something less loud I would suggest spending 60 bucks on a fuma 2, you could get a used wraith cooler too to try that. Their cheap if you find a good deal on ebay.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
They are both 95w cpus, heat output will be roughly the same. So the fan should act accordingly.

However, the bios/cmos settings are set up with voltages and speeds for the x3 not the x4, so there will be some discrepancy in those settings until the bios is set to factory default settings, which will apply those settings into cmos after windows shuts down.

Jan 2, 2021
LATE REPLY.... I realized CPU cooler was facing the wrong way. (For this old desktop) it was just a matter of rotating it to the correct position. For anyone that runs into this issue hopefully it will be of help. Thank you all for the assistance !