[SOLVED] Loud fans followed by immediate shut down. No display when turning PC on even though fans running.

Aug 28, 2020
Hi guys.

Earlier today I was playing games on my PC.

About 10 minutes into the game the fans on my PC immediately cranked up to max and the PC promptly shut down. (No smells of burning plastic)

After about 5 minutes, (to just let the PC sit down and think about what it just did) I restarted the system.

When restarting, the PC turns on, with no warning lights on the MOBO and seems to be running fine. However, big kicker, there's nothing on the display and the monitor isn't even reading the PC as an HDMI source. I've checked that the monitor is working fine against other devices and used a fresh HDMI cable but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a first-time build so troubleshooting will very much be a nightmare for someone like me.

I've tried to read around the issue and deduced that it's most likely an issue with the MoBo, GPU or the Power Supply but unfortunately, I don't have spares knocking around to test against nor an endless budget to purchase a load of new components.

This PC is only a few months old also.

Components:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
MoBo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8 Gb
RAM: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4
Power Supply: Aerocool Integrator 600W

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Well, the biggest red flags here is the following combo:
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8 Gb <- It's been shown that the custom cooler on this particular model isn't very good, so if you run your hardware in an already 'stuffy' chassis, this likely hits dangerous thermals.
Power Supply: Aerocool Integrator 600W <- This thing's a real piece of junk.

You can't get through this one without replacing something... unfortunately, Ryzen 3600X doesn't have an iGPU.
-psu killed gpu
-psu killed mobo
-psu killed other things - it's really a piece of crap.
-gpu died from excessive temperature operation - not likely, because it's designed to shut off to prevent this

Don't cheap out on the power supply! You should start here first.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
What is ur gpu temp when gaming? From description seems like gpu is the cause here, it's getting way too hot, it's faulty or it's on a brink of dying. If you have overclocked it then back down to defaults. If you are on defaults already you're soon going to have to buy a new gpu. Alternatively you can try thoroughly cleaning/dusting off the gpu and other components or improving the airflow in ur case.

Reactions: ElonTusk

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy 8 Gb <- It's been shown that the custom cooler on this particular model isn't very good, so if you run your hardware in an already 'stuffy' chassis, this likely hits dangerous thermals.

You can't get through this one without replacing something... unfortunately, Ryzen 3600X doesn't have an iGPU.
-psu killed gpu
-psu killed mobo
-gpu died from excessive temperature operation - not likely, because it's designed to shut off to prevent this

Reactions: ElonTusk
Solution
Aug 28, 2020

-psu killed gpu
-psu killed mobo

I managed to bypass the fault by resetting the CMO but will definitely be taking this advice. Clearly a novice and was trying to get the best bang for the buck so wasn't entirely sure of the best components!
Good thing I'm looking to upgrade the GPU soon anyway and will now definitely be looking towards upgrading the PSU! Any particular models you would recommend?

thanks a lot for the advice!