Question loud humming and weird noise

Jul 8, 2019
So my WD Blue 1tb drive makes a loud humming noise, and a sound that i can only describe as it turning on twice or thrice every minute. Compared to that my 2tb Seagate Barracuda drive is completely silent. In terms of functionality there's no problem. I can access all files on the disk, run any games, play any video or music, my computer doesnt freeze or slow down at all, even when the sound takes place. Disk management shows hte disk is healthy, and i have no reason to believe otherwise, but this constant noise is really bothering me.

Jul 8, 2019
yes, i have also swapped the positions of both hard drives, and only the WD is vibrating loudly, making the noise. Even placed outside the case it vibrates quite loudly and makes the switching on noise

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
yes, i have also swapped the positions of both hard drives, and only the WD is vibrating loudly, making the noise. Even placed outside the case it vibrates quite loudly and makes the switching on noise
Have you checked it's health in HD Sentinel?

I've seen this on quite a few WD drives, they have inbuilt programming to optimise rotation speeds which sometimes causes this issue.
I'd say it's probably natural if there is nothing else going wrong with the drive - it is simply causing extra vibration when attached to the case.

Last edited: