[SOLVED] Loud pop and burning noise - still seems to work fine

Mar 5, 2020
So when turning on the power to my PSU i get a series of pops and then a burning smell, however, it seems to work fine afterwards. GPU: RTX 2070, PSU:EVGA 750BQ. Both of them are fairly new, maybe a month old at most. Please let me know what I should do accordingly and if I should be worried.

Solution
i would definitely be worried. you know something fried or there wouldn't have been a smell. discovering what is the problem.
i would not trust my components connected to this power supply until determining that it was not the direct culprit.

do you have a second system available to test components on?
i would definitely be worried. you know something fried or there wouldn't have been a smell. discovering what is the problem.
i would not trust my components connected to this power supply until determining that it was not the direct culprit.

do you have a second system available to test components on?

Solution
Mar 5, 2020
Thanks for the replies, but no I don't have a second system to test the components on. Next time it happens I'll look around and see where the smell is strongest. Definitely seems to be somewhere around the power supply though.

Mar 5, 2020
Alright good to know. I also have a i9 9900k and 16 gigs of ram. I could probably get away with 700w but I had gone for the 750 just to be sure, and I'm in Costa Rica. Any specific PSU's that could work for me?

Reactions: King_V
Mar 5, 2020
Update: Booted it back up today to smell around and find the origin. Searched around until I cameto the power strip and it was pretty clear that it came from there so I went to get a new one. The old one I had been using for probably around 15 years now so it wouldn't be a surprise if it were malfunctioning now, and it seemed to be the case. Swapped out the power strip and no pops, no smell, nothing, just a clean experience. I still plan on probably replacing the PSU in the future just to be sure, and to keep my pc protected. Thanks for all the help and I'm glad we got it figured out. :)