Loud whine from laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFireZ

Honorable
Sep 10, 2014
So I've had my Sony Vaio VGN-FW235D for about 6 years now and it's served me well, and still works fine except for this one little thing, it makes a loud whiny noise all the time when it's turned on. I've read articles about how it could have to do with the hard drive or fan but I'm not sure about which. If someone could tell me whats causing this problem and how to fix it I'd greatly appreciate it.

If it is the HDD, you can usually test it by putting it under some load and see if it gets louder (the noise) but your fan(s) might be blocked by dust or something like that, or the bearings could just be dying inside of the fan.

- Sam

BlueFireZ

Honorable
Sep 10, 2014
I observed that if I let the laptop idle the noise goes down, could that mean anything? Heres what else I've observed: If I move large files around the computer makes a really loud noise, If i open a couple applications at once the computer becomes quite loud but not as loud as when i move large files though.

My theory is that it gets louder as the CPU load gets higher. Also, it's just loud in general (like all the time) but when I do certain things it just gets louder.

It could be both the fan and HDD but more likely the HDD. Try installing a program called HWMonitor and screenshot the temperature results:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

- Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.