[SOLVED] Loud whirring noise from fan and electrical buzzing

msmith3009

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Had a problem with my PC the last week. Started on Sunday when I booted up my PC early morning and all of a sudden there's a loud whirring noise, sounded like it was coming from a fan. Opened it up and the noise vanished.

Four days later I boot it up in the morning and same noise, this time it took about ten seconds to start rather than instant. It was running fine the few days before.

Also, noticed an electrical buzzing sound coming from it while it was running, so maybe the PSU is going bad? No idea, please help.

msmith3009

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
My PC specs:

i5-6400 with stock cooler
Nvidia 1050ti
1TB WD hard drive
500w EVGA bronze 80+
16gb ram (forgot the brand sorry)
2 case fans, one rear and one on top, both exhaust

Had a problem with my PC the last week. Started on Sunday when I booted up my PC early morning and all of a sudden there's a loud whirring noise, sounded like it was coming from a fan. Opened it up and the noise vanished.

Four days later I boot it up in the morning and same noise, this time it took about ten seconds to start rather than instant. It was running fine the few days before.

Also, noticed an electrical buzzing sound coming from it while it was running, so maybe the PSU is going bad? No idea, please help.
Isolate which fan it is and replace it.
It is probably the bearing going bad.
Once you replace it see if the other noise is still there.
If not...great.
If it is....you will have an easier time isolating it.

msmith3009

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Isolate which fan it is and replace it.
It is probably the bearing going bad.
Once you replace it see if the other noise is still there.
If not...great.
If it is....you will have an easier time isolating it.
Okay, I'll figure out which fan it is and try replacing it. Would the buzzing noise be coming from a fan and not the PSU?

msmith3009

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
I just opened my case up and pushed all the fans, the top fan i can push upwards and it hits the grill making a noise, is that normal or should it not be doing that?

msmith3009

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Okay, think i figured it out. The cpu fan is the one rattling, so maybe it was also the one making the loud noise at startup? the buzzing sound seems to be from the hard drive

msmith3009

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
If you are sure the one noise is coming from the fan....replace it.
If you are sure the hard drive is making the other noise....and it didn't make that other noise before (if it's a NEW noise from the HD).....replace it.
100% the cpu fan and its a new noise from the hdd so guess I'll be replacing both, maybe it's time for an SSD. Thanks for the help