Question Low cinebench R23 score on 13600kf (multi core)

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
I recently assembled a system with the below specs:
CPU: Intel i5 13600kf
Mobo: Gigabyte B760M D2H DDR5 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B760M-D2H-rev-10#kf)
Ram: 2x Gskill 16GB DDR5 6000mhz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (mounted veritcally)

When I first used cinebench, it reached 100C within 2-3secs. The idle CPU temperature is 50C and ambient temperature varies from 30-40C in summer. So I watched some videos on youtube where they told that undervolting will not decrease performance by that much but will reduce temps..
I watched some other video where it told to use the Dynamic Vcore(DVID) on gigabyte boards to undervolt. I did the same and didn't touch anything in the bios other than using XMP for the RAM.
>At first I set the DVID to -50mV but the cpu ran into 100C within a few seconds again.. (didn't complete cinebench because of high temps)
>changed it to -90mV where it maxed out at 99C.. (didn't complete cinebench because of high temps)
>again changed it to -100mV where the temps max out at 95C (got cinebench score of 13.2K)
>changed it to -110mV and temps stayed at 88C(got cinebench score of 11.8K)
>changed it to -125mV and temps were 80C( got cinebench score of 10.3K)

Updated bios to the latest.. installed all motherboard and intel softwares provided .. but same results.

The normal score of this processor is around 24K and currently at -100mV I am getting 13.2K only whereas on youtube, at -100mV people got a score of 23K+ ..

Need help regarding this... (btw, I have never overclocked or underclocked earlier)

Solution
Couldn't find any setting in the bios to turn off the undervolt protection..
Leave the volts untouched, on your third pic you have a setting called CPU thermal monitor that is set to auto, what are the other options?
You can set a max temp you feel ok with somewhere in the bios and that might be the spot.

Alternatively on the forth pic you are highlighting the turbo power limits, set a maximum power limit that your cooling can handle easier than the unlimited or thousands it is probably set to under auto.
Try the intel default of 181W max under warranty and increase from there if you want to.
@Wrick Daz
This issue is caused by Intel Undervolt Protection which is a feature of the latest BIOS versions. It is badly broken. Any tiny undervolt attempt will cut Cinebench performance in half.

Look in the BIOS to see if you can disable this. HWINFO can be used to detect Undervolt Protection. Many Asus boards allow you to use the older 0x104 microcode which was before the broken Undervolt Protection feature existed. The 13600k will score over 24K in R23 and the undervolt will drop temps by up to 20C. Big difference.

Review sites need to look into these issues.

Edit - Here is what ThrottleStop 9.5.1 shows when Undervolt Protection is enabled.

View: https://imgur.com/bpinOAW

Last edited:

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
Hello,
I used hwinfo and it showed Dynamic Overclocking Undervolt protection enabled.

The bios:

Advanced cpu tweaker inside the bios:

Leave the volts untouched, on your third pic you have a setting called CPU thermal monitor that is set to auto, what are the other options?
You can set a max temp you feel ok with somewhere in the bios and that might be the spot.

Alternatively on the forth pic you are highlighting the turbo power limits, set a maximum power limit that your cooling can handle easier than the unlimited or thousands it is probably set to under auto.
Try the intel default of 181W max under warranty and increase from there if you want to.

Reactions: Wrick Daz
Solution

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015

before doing either of the things, should I change the Dynamic Vcore(DVID) back to what it was earlier ?

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
I would think yes, but it should not hurt to try with both to see what it does.
uWebb is probably right though that dvid will always trigger that undervolt safety and always cause bad performance.
with only DVID, it consumes a max of 145W.. without DVID, I have seen it going well past 200W even though the intel default is 181W. I will check on the others things mentioned both with and without..

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015

The second workaround you mentioned, when I checked in the BIOS, I got 3 options: auto, Intel POR, Enabled.
Choosing Enabled I am presented with this screen.

Lets say I want to use max of 150W. So where should I use that according to the above pic ?

The second workaround you mentioned, when I checked in the BIOS, I got 3 options: auto, Intel POR, Enabled.
Choosing Enabled I am presented with this screen.

Lets say I want to use max of 150W. So where should I use that according to the above pic ?
PL2 (power limit 2) is the amount of power you want when boosting and the time is for how long you want that, after that time it will go down to PL1.
If you want it to never go above 150W you would set PL2 at 150W and PL1 to whatever you want, it can also be 150W if you want it to always run at the same power/speed.

95WTau_575px.png

Wrick Daz

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2015
PL2 (power limit 2) is the amount of power you want when boosting and the time is for how long you want that, after that time it will go down to PL1.
If you want it to never go above 150W you would set PL2 at 150W and PL1 to whatever you want, it can also be 150W if you want it to always run at the same power/speed.

95WTau_575px.png
Did the second workaround.. also set the DVID to Auto like it was before..

First I set both PL1 and PL2 to 150W and ran cinebench with min test duration to Off.. Got 22.5K score.. temps went to 90C
Then I ran the throttling test.. It went to 98C within 3 mins.. So stopped it..

Then set both PL1 and PL2 to 135W and ran cinebench with min test duration to Off.. got 21.5K score..
Then I ran the throttling test.. After full 10 mins completion the max package temp was 96C (PCore 97C ECore 86C) with 21.9K points..

I will take low temps anyday with slight reduction of performance... I will most probably reduce it by further 5-10W to get less than 95C (since the idle temps is 48-51C and the ambient temperature is always high)..

Just can believe slight undervolting reduced the performance by so much compared to restricting wattage though the wattage usage was almost the same in both the cases when checked in HWMonitor..

Thanks !!

TRENDING THREADS