Question Low compression score 7-Zip multicore 14600k ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
EDP OTHER is usually caused by a current limit being set too low. I would use ThrottleStop to set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the max, 511.75. See if that makes any difference.

May 18, 2024
microcode, 0x104. - not helped
ICC max did not helped either.
FIVR cache ratio = 45 always onle one time blinked to 40 during test and it was for fraction of second.

PS. I have in BIOS setting: Global code SVID voltage ( I set OFFSET -0.040000v)

Let me understand it first: On non Z chips need older microcode to apply undervolting and only Z chipsets allow to override intel microsode despite it's version? So "Global code SVID voltage" is useless without first set 0x104 µCode?

Time to renew testing on new hardware looks like it's max for it. BTW: Did you benchmarked your setup with geekbench 6.3? (not important for me comparing to 7z, just curious multicore result)

Last edited:
microcode, 0x104. - not helped
When using microcode 0x104, check ThrottleStop to see if it shows Undervolt Protection. If ThrottleStop does not show Undervolt Protection, try using ThrottleStop to undervolt the core and the cache. Setting these to -75 mV should be stable. You should see a drop in Cinebench power consumption and temperatures and the undervolt should show up in the FIVR monitoring table. If Undervolt Protection is enabled, the FIVR monitoring table will show +0.0000 for both offset voltages.

Do not do any undervolting using the BIOS. BIOS undervolting seems to be broken on the B760 boards. It can cause a drop in performance.

On non Z chips need older microcode to apply undervolting
On B760 motherboards, only the 0x104 microcode supports undervolting and undervolting only seems to work correctly when using ThrottleStop to set the core and the cache offsets.

Z series motherboards may or may not allow you to disable Undervolt Protection. Not all motherboards have this feature and on some motherboards, this feature might be broken and not work at all.

Reactions: diango

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
I know it was mentioned earlier that RAM shouldn't be the problem, but I just read this in the 7z benchmark documentation: https://documentation.help/7-Zip/bench.htm
Compression speed and rating strongly depend on memory (RAM) latency.

Decompression speed and rating strongly depend on the integer performance of the CPU.
With RAM latency being really important for the one and not the other could this be the problem?

May 18, 2024
@slightnitpick, thanks
Yes I came to similar conslutions, that it will be combination of B760 mobo which is not the best choice for 13 and 14 K series (I've read about it too late) + DDR4 instead of DDR5, I bet those 2 things 99% this is the reason for 15-30% drop in some benchmarks

@35below0
Undervolting with TS software worked as you instructed, but performance the same I only saw a bit lower temps 2-5celsius in Cinebech R23

Last edited:
May 18, 2024
It could be, but latency is twice as high with my memory. So it doesn't explain it so much.
Correct I agree about latency (lack) of importance, I was thinking about memory clock + worse cheapset combo and for 99% that's probably full explanation of my problem.
I could not get close results with ThrottleStop or BIOS settings, so Z790 or Z690+DDR5 would resolve it.
I will keep you updated anyway :)
ps. Curious about your Geekbench 6.3 can you post in free time?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Correct I agree about latency (lack) of importance, I was thinking about memory clock + worse cheapset combo and for 99% that's probably full explanation of my problem.
I could not get close results with ThrottleStop or BIOS settings, so Z790 or Z690+DDR5 would resolve it.
I will keep you updated anyway :)
ps. Curious about your Geekbench 6.3 can you post in free time?
I would rather go with a DDR4 z690 mobo. Better value for money + more RAM kit options.

DDR5 is more limited today, and more expensive. By the time DDR4 starts to die off, it will be time for a completely new build.

I think a non-cut down chipset should be enough. I can't imagine people with a 14600K being limited in 7zip! This is more likely a quirk of the motherboard and not DDR gen related.

Maybe someone with a Adler/Raptor CPU and DDR 4 can chime in?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
@35below0
Are you happy with your Gigabyte z790 UD or would go now with other option?
On the one hand, it's the bottom of the pile in Gigabyte's lineup of z790 motherboards.
On the other, it has all the features i wanted and more. All the other motherboards offer more of what i do not need and cannot really justify.

The UD's 8+8 60A VRM isn't the greatest considering how much motherboard manufacturers like to pump up the power, but in my case it does not matter as most of the silly boost options are not going to be enabled without XMP, and i happen not to use XMP.
So the VRM is fine for the 13600K.

It has the I/O and M.2 slots i like and overall it's fine. The audio codec is poor but i'm not paying another 300 euro for a better one.

I am in Europe were motherboard prices are a little bit higher. The cheap z690s floating around in the US are not available at such low prices. The AsRock z690 Extreme would be a really awesome motherboard even for 200 euro. But i don't really need to build anything and i would not swap out this one.

So i guess my use case isn't really conventional because i don't need too much out of a computer performance-wise. I tend to spend on durability/longevity and premium stuff like cases, mice/keyboards, and such.
My gaming is mostly non-GPU intensive or older games, way older.

The reason i picked the z790 UD is because i didn't want a cut down chipset, even though some b760 chipset features aren't cut down all that much. Motherboard manufacturers can choose to hack away more features in pursuit of cost savings.

What is it you will use the PC for? If you can describe this in detail i could suggest if the UD is good enough or not. Although i've noticed it's not in stock as often so maybe it's too late. But there are z690 and z790 for you, IF your current motherboard is to blame. Because...

...I just noticed something else. You wrote that you're using a 4x16Gb kit. Is it a true 4x kit, or is it 2 2x kits?
Is the RAM compatible with the motherboard? RAM that is not confirmed compatible can work 100% ok, or 100% fail, or be somewhere in between. Given 7zip's RAM sensitivity, maybe the RAM is the culprit?

It's always faster to use a 2x kit because memory controllers do not like the extra workload of 4 sticks. Your motherboard manual will state clearly what the limits are.

But to start with, what is your exact RAM (partnumber)?
- Open command prompt (hit winkey, search for "cmd").
- Type in or paste this: "wmic memorychip get devicelocator, partnumber"

May 18, 2024
Thanks
I have removed 2 other (yesterday) and left 32GB only, two DIMM slots:
Controller0-ChannelA-DIMM1 KHX3466C16D4/16GX
Controller1-ChannelA-DIMM1 KHX3466C16D4/16GX

So that issue(dual channel) is also excluded :)

Reactions: 35below0

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
Just tested it myself, these are the results - 12900k

image-2024-05-20-185303453.png

It's not that intensive in terms of power draw so I don't think it's your motherboard throttling.