Question Low cost, techy way to rewind live tv?

Jun 24, 2023
A 4K Fire Tv (LDC9WZ) running a Live Tv app. Able to pause natively but I'm unable to rewind/replay 😕.

I have a WD MyCloud and numerous external and thumb drives as well as a Raspberry Pi with HDMI port.

Mid level tech abilities (Linux commands, developer options, sideloading, etc.).

Any cheap and creative solutions?

LabRat 891

Honorable
Apr 18, 2019
Nothing that I can think of (or share here).
That 'feature' is purposely removed, probably as part of IP licensing agreements.
(Yes, what you're looking for used to be a common and advertised feature of products like TiVo, Sling, etc.)

The only (simple) way would be to 'record the HDMI output':
what you're asking is to circumvent HDCP DRM-content protection. AFAIK, that's agains da rools.

You could try an HDMI capture device, but most of the 'affordable' options are either underwhelmingly poor, or will have to be a used-example of a 'higher-end' capture device. (I'm not aware of Raspberry Pi being capable of HDMI-capture)

Regardless, HDCP-protected content 'shouldn't' work. You can try it, and may even be able to find a method to circumvent/decode/spoof the HDCP-handshake... But, that's generally against TOS on most tech-sites to even discuss. (For some odd reason, Reddit seems to allow a subreddit on similar topics, though)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023
Nothing that I can think of (or share here).
That 'feature' is purposely removed, probably as part of IP licensing agreements.
(Yes, what you're looking for used to be a common and advertised feature of products like TiVo, Sling, etc.)

The only (simple) way would be to 'record the HDMI output':
what you're asking is to circumvent HDCP DRM-content protection. AFAIK, that's agains da rools.

You could try an HDMI capture device, but most of the 'affordable' options are either underwhelmingly poor, or will have to be a used-example of a 'higher-end' capture device. (I'm not aware of Raspberry Pi being capable of HDMI-capture)

Regardless, HDCP-protected content 'shouldn't' work. You can try it, and may even be able to find a method to circumvent/decode/spoof the HDCP-handshake... But, that's generally against TOS on most tech-sites to even discuss. (For some odd reason, Reddit seems to allow a subreddit on similar topics, though)
Thank you. It's reassuring that I thought of the same paths, products and processes you mentioned. At least it would seem I didn't miss anything too obvious. 😉