Low Cpu/Gpu usage in some games

Jun 11, 2018
I recently got a gtx 1080 a little under a month ago, ever since playing with it i've had little issues with my fps in some games. I'm playing at 1080p (yes I know a gtx 1080 is overkill) but reguardless of that i should be getting way higher frames in certain games. games i usually have issues in are
csgo, Vampyr, battlefield 1, and a couple other games. and im fairly sure i do not have a cpu bottle neck.
here are my specs:

Motherboard: Tomahawk b350
Cpu: Ryzen 5 1500x
Gpu: Gtx 1080
Memory: 16Gb
PSU: Corsair Cx650m
Windows 10

Solution
At 1080p with a GTX 1080 you might well be CPU bottlenecked. What is GPU usage looking like when you run a game? I bet it's not anywhere near 100%, which means it's idling a lot of the time. That's usually a sign of the CPU not keeping up. It's important to know that even if your CPU usage isn't 100% that doesn't always mean you have enough CPU. Certain games can leverage CPUs in such a way that the CPU is doing all it can, for that game, even though it's not 100% used.
At 1080p with a GTX 1080 you might well be CPU bottlenecked. What is GPU usage looking like when you run a game? I bet it's not anywhere near 100%, which means it's idling a lot of the time. That's usually a sign of the CPU not keeping up. It's important to know that even if your CPU usage isn't 100% that doesn't always mean you have enough CPU. Certain games can leverage CPUs in such a way that the CPU is doing all it can, for that game, even though it's not 100% used.

Solution
Jun 14, 2018
So if you have a second monitor. Could you have your task manager opened and look off to the side and go into the performance tab and hover over your CPU and check if your speed dips or not? If you don't have a second monitor, you could just play in window mode and have that part under your window while playing.

You could also do what the previous person said and check the CPU to see if it's hitting 100. If it is, it's most likely the speed is dipping and it's probably overheating.

If it is overheating, you may want to reseat the heatsink and apply new thermal paste.