[SOLVED] Low CPU & GPU usage , & Low FPS ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 1, 2021
Specs
-GPU: AMD Radeon R7 260M
-CPU: Intel Core i5-4210U 2.4 GHz
-RAM: 6GB DDR3
-Disk: HDD 1TB (100GB free rn)

Other:
-Direct X12
-Drivers are all up to date

Things i have tried:
-scanning for corrupted files through CMD ( sfc/ scannow)
-reinstalling graphics drivers
-adjusting power options to high performance
-setting priority to high in task manager
-enabling/disabling windows 10 game mode
-other stuff :/

this happens on alot of games but as an example lets take something like "bluestacks 5"

Picture 1 :
View: https://imgur.com/a/AuFT60c
8-27 Fps with basically little to no GPU usage and the thing is when the game gets demanding both CPU usage and GPU usage go down drastically (despite being already low) decreasing FPS to around 8-10
Picture 2:
View: https://imgur.com/a/EoRIkzB

-

Last edited:
Solution
did you add up all the little parts of Avast before as its possible it added up to about the same or more. whereas defender only has 1 process under it, avast likely have about 6 or 7 processes. Avast had 14 drivers so at least your driver list is a little shorter now.
Kaspersky is the worst, often about 20 drivers,

much of defender is built into windows though so its usage is masked.

clean install of windows would at least force it to get all new drivers and hopefully fix whatever one you have that is buggy

as i said, most systems i see have 1 page of drivers, not 3. How old is this install?
the unscientific method - replace old drivers
elbycd is getting old
wonder what QImem.sys from Toshiba does. its described as generic i/o &...

Colif

Win 11 Master
look at driver ws, yours is so long it doesn't even fit on the page.
mines 16, 252, yours is like mega...

driver ws is where the drivers operate in, they mostly operate in ram and yours is... I wonder what 1st number is?

do you need all these programs?

try running rammap it might help identify whats eating the ram - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap
go to the file details page and sort by size

don't run rammap while running things as it chews ram to do its job, or at least, be aware of that. it uses 1.2gb on my pc... it might vary depending on ram you have though.

we might end up needing to use poolmon for this.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i was wrong, should use file summary
File Summary
The next page of interest is the File Summary tab. The File Summary tab will show you very detailed information about which files are loaded in RAM on your system, including a breakdown of how that memory is being used (Active, Standby, Modified and Modified No-Write). This tab makes it very easy to track down which files are using your RAM.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-the-new-sysinternals-tool-rammap/ba-p/374717

have to try to figure out which driver is to blame, look for sys files as they are drivers. Then update or remove it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nothing stands out there,
I am going to have to look at your drivers again, it is just getting late here and I have to go soon

We can use poolmon
this video explains how to use it , and has a link to the windows Driver Kit you need to install to get poolmon (in description)
this shows what the tags mean - https://github.com/zodiacon/PoolMonXv2/blob/master/PoolMonX/res/pooltag.txt
Paged pool can move to hdd, non paged has to stay in ram.
So i would look at paged as your hdd randomly going to 100 could mean its a process being moved into page file.

I would run it when the usage is spiking and see what it shows you.

is driver WS that big right after a restart? not shut down/start, but the restart command in power menu in start

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mmst = Memory Manager. Its completely sensible for it to use most memory

The MmSt pool tag is used by the Memory Manager when reserving memory for section prototype PTEs. A prototype PTE is a structure that maps the physical location of a page or set of pages to a memory mapped file. The MmSt allocations reside in Paged Pool memory. MmSt allocations are most commonly seen when the system is under heavy file I/O and has many open files mapped into the memory cache. The Cache Manager should reduce its MmSt allocations when paged pool memory pressure occurs, but this may not always happen quickly enough to prevent some issues.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...getting-to-know-the-mmst-pool-tag/ba-p/374971

I thought I recognised it from last time I suggested poolmon

The cause is unlikely to be part of windows so look for non windows parts.

I should read this one day - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/finding-a-memory-leak

it is unlikely but it could just be the combined totals of all your drivers, I asked before...

what does Driver WS look like on a clean boot, just after a restart with nothing running. is it always over (probably) 1.2 million bytes or does it grow to that over the day.

Windows 10 by default isn't off when you shut it down, its asleep. So restart command in power menu is only time its actually off and it might refresh ram usage.

I would suggest turning off Fast startup if you didn't have a hdd. It helps speed up startup but at expense of not clearing the ram on a restart.

if it always uses that much and you need all of the software, an answer that comes to mind is get more ram + an ssd as it would speed up everything. Even if you need to use page file the response time is higher. I would suggest NVME but its an even bigger jump in speed/responsiveness over a hdd, and I am guessing your PC can't do it. Hdd is too slow for windows boot drive these days.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can't answer questions about accuracy of perfmon as I don't use it often, it should match up with task manager. They all get the info from the same place.

its difficult to troubleshoot problems like this when you can't do the steps on your own pc to replicate it.

I wonder if you can use process explorer to track those details instead, the amount of data it can show is only restricted by how big your screen is. if you right click the header line and choose select columns you may find those on it as well.

9s0SMfO.jpg

the Process Disk tab might help as well since its using page file.

Colif

Win 11 Master
on poolmon you want to look at the drivers with the biggest difference filed as it shows the items not releasing ram
none of the things on screenshot are suspicious.

Ntff = ntfs (file system), it might be normal for it to appear twice.
DxgK = Direct X. Normal for it to use lots for GPU
FmFn - Filter manager - used to move files from ram to hdd

I am a little behind in screenshots, i was answering while you replied

its been at least 5 years since i had less than 16gb of ram so I not sure what normal ram percentage should be for you.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i saw one guy misunderstood total and thought the 294,964,900 working set size was in MB, not K.

Old drive format let you have 1 partition for everything, new one won't.

Safe mode - no 3rd party drivers run in safe mode. If ram is still high in here, I be amazed. Everything listed has to be part of windows. if you still get high hdd spikes in safe mode, it could be the hdd itself as well. did you run https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ on the drive and check its health?

You need to run poolmon just after a peak event, see which items have the biggest difference between Allocs & Frees - show me a screenshot if you can't find a big total on a non windows file

note: I only got about 4 hours sleep last night so I might be going around in circles. May provide better answers tomorrow.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
can't find what AvN is
or AvSs
or a few of them starting withy AV

You can identify them on your system, the guy shows you on that video. its difficult to type them here as forum removes the asterix, so replace star below with asterix

findstr /s YOURTAG star.star

Jun 1, 2021
man i really wonder how this turned from a question about why bluestacks is using like 10% of gpu and giving me like 5 fps became a memory investigation : ^ )

Colif

Win 11 Master
Someone pointed out the hdd usage at 100% even when there doesn't appear to be anything happening... and we went down this rabbit hole trying to answer it.
if memory system all jammed up, everyting else will be too
I don't see a huge total on 1 pooltag, i see lots of little ones.

I don't know where Process explorer gets that figure for your drivers. Its not on rammap.

Yes, I do feel like I am going around in circles.

Maybe see if update for Avast as its only driver that isn't made by windows we have found so far.