[SOLVED] Low CPU usage and power consumption

Jul 3, 2020
I just recently upgraded quite a few of my pc parts and the biggest upgrade being going from i5 3470 to 9400f. Everything is up and running no problems except when I start to game. I've noticed whenever I'm playing a game only 25-35% of my cpu is being used and the cpu is only drawing out between 15-25w of power and I believe its all causing me fps drops. For example when I play overwatch and I get into team fights the cpu usage tanks from like 30ish to 15% and cause my fps to drop to 30. I only play on high settings and I should definitely be getting constant 60. I'm not entirely sure if the cpu usage and power consumption is to blame but everything else seems fine. I was always getting 90% gpu usage and up and the gpus temp was always sitting round 60 degrees. And I do remember checking the cpu temp and it was fine just can't remember what it was exactly. The cpu's clock speed was fine too always sitting around 3.9ghz while gaming. Any advice appreciated.
Full specs:
Gigabyte 1050 ti OC edition
i5 9400f 2.9ghz
16gb (1x16) hyperx 2666hz ram
B365M HD3 (mobo)
500w PSU (Don't know specific model or brand)
C drive is a ssd and I also have a 1tb hdd

Solution
You went from a fairly slow 4 core processor to a faster 6 core processor.

Set power savings settings to high performance, go back into the game and turn all settings to low and see if your usage goes up, if so then your video card is holding the processor back since it has nothing to process with your video card at high settings.

A single stick of memory is a bit of a performance hit also.

A fresh windows install should of been done if not that should be your first step.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Set power savings settings to high performance, go back into the game and turn all settings to low and see if your usage goes up, if so then your video card is holding the processor back since it has nothing to process with your video card at high settings.

A fresh windows install should of been done if not that should be your first step.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 3, 2020

I'll chuck it on low settings and check the usage when I am next on.