[SOLVED] Low CPU usage on all games after GPU upgrade

Yopuhcak

Honorable
Sep 1, 2016
Hi,

Today I bought MSI RX 6700 XT Mech 2 and later I started to notice FPS drops. Felt like my old GPU was better when I played GTA V and RDR2. I checked FPS game also. (Warzone 2.0)

Opened MSI Afterburner and yes CPU usage was low around 2 to 5 %, doesn't even exceeded 10%. I tried to uninstall and clean install my GPU driver but still no luck.

I don't know what to do anymore, am out of options, please help.

Thank you!

P.S.

My old card was RX 6600 XT. I have r5 5600, b550m mobo, 16GB ram XMP activated 3600Mhz.

Solution
Hi Guys,

I think I solved it, seems like the MSI afterburner was the culprit. It doesn't show the real CPU usage when I swap my new card into my rig.

I tried to re-install it and CPU usage exceeded 10% easily. Is 19 to 34% CPU usage still low though?

Not really.

Most games, like GTA V, RDR2, etc (even newer ones), will usually tax 1 core the hardest (you have 6 physical cores + 6 logical cores for a total of 12 threads) and then may use other cores to load some "light" work. Windows and background apps will also tax a little bit of some cores while you are playing.

So 19% to 34% seems more in line to those games you wrote up there.

Yopuhcak

Honorable
Sep 1, 2016
Hi Guys,

For reference: this is the actual pic, gpu usage rose to 99% due to grass density. ave 50 to 60% usage.

xMI0ph.png

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I am not up to speed on all the details but AMD driver updates on some systems have broke windows or they just don't play nice. Check into that. Upgrading from a 6600 to 6700 should have been a simple swap.
Why upgrade one tier anyway? 🙂

Reactions: Yopuhcak

Yopuhcak

Honorable
Sep 1, 2016
Hi Guys,

I think I solved it, seems like the MSI afterburner was the culprit. It doesn't show the real CPU usage when I swap my new card into my rig.

I tried to re-install it and CPU usage exceeded 10% easily. Is 19 to 34% CPU usage still low though?

Hi Guys,

Not really.

Most games, like GTA V, RDR2, etc (even newer ones), will usually tax 1 core the hardest (you have 6 physical cores + 6 logical cores for a total of 12 threads) and then may use other cores to load some "light" work. Windows and background apps will also tax a little bit of some cores while you are playing.

So 19% to 34% seems more in line to those games you wrote up there.

Reactions: Yopuhcak
Solution