[SOLVED] Low-end budget graphics card

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
I am searching for a GPU for a budget computer that would be able to play some games. I want to be able to play most games at 720p medium settings at over 40fps. I know this might sounds really low but I'm not even sure if my monitor is capable of 1080p and for me, high resolution and graphics complexity are really not necessary.

Do you know a relatively good GPU in this category (or more but it needs to stay low-budget) that would fit my needs?

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
I am planning to buy a Ryzen 5 3400g and the msi b450 tomahawk max motherboard with 2x8GB of Corsair vengeance LPX 3200MHz ram.

I have a 500W power supply so power should not be an issue.

WildCard999

Titan
I am planning to buy a Ryzen 5 3400g and the msi b450 tomahawk max motherboard with 2x8GB of Corsair vengeance LPX 3200MHz ram.
The Vega 11 (3400G iGPU) should be able to handle what your looking for in gaming performance at 720P, I'd try it first before buying a dedicated GPU and as long as you get good performance this will allow you to hold off and continue saving for a substantial upgrade when you do need that extra GPU performance.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
The Vega 11 (3400G iGPU) should be able to handle what your looking for in gaming performance at 720P, I'd try it first before buying a dedicated GPU and as long as you get good performance this will allow you to hold off and continue saving for a substantial upgrade when you do need that extra GPU performance.

But I am not sure about the cpu yet maybe I would go with a cheaper cpu with the same or higher performances but without Vega iGPU...

WildCard999

Titan
But I am not sure about the cpu yet maybe I would go with a cheaper cpu with the same or higher performances but without Vega iGPU...
You could if budget allows but if your playing more recent AAA games you'd want something with the additional threads, otherwise something like a Ryzen 1200/RX 570 (or something similar) would work well.

Going with a dedicated GPU could also affect your PSU. 500W "could" be enough but it depends on the model as some junk models could ruin those components. If it does turn out that your PSU is lower quality then your best bet is to get the 3400G/Compatible B450 board/16gb 2x8gb at 3200mhz memory and use that until you can upgrade the PSU, then GPU, then Monitor.

What is your budget and where are you buying from?

The Tomahawk MAX is a solid board but another one I think worth looking into is the ASRock B450M A/C as it comes with a updated BIOS to support the 3400G out of the box and can usually be found cheaper but this depends on location.

WildCard999

Titan
$100 CAD for the CPU, MB & memory? If so that's going to be way above your budget.

The PSU isn't going to be a Firestarter however I'd be hesitant with using a mid ranged GPU with it. I'd get the 3400G first, then use the iGPU until you can get a better PSU & GPU.

WildCard999

Titan
for Stay Low Budget ,,,, and its still running 2020 games on 720p mid setting
It could be feasible but it depends on how the OP would approach it. If they could go 1600 AF (2600 performance) then get that GPU within budget then it could work well but with COVID-19 the pricing has gone up for certain parts so it really depends on how much that 750 ti would cost.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020

I have a 500W power supply so power should not be an issue.
I just went thru the same thing , building a "budget" PC. If you haven't bought any parts yet I'd maybe consider the 2000 line of Ryzen CPU's to save a few bucks, an AsRock B450M Pro4 and Ripjaws RAM would also shave off a few bucks and not make any noticeable dent in performance... But I don't know what your end goal for the build really is.

Anyway just came here mostly to say if you are getting a g series CPU why even bother with an older GPU with about the same performance? If your set on a discreet card ditch the built in graphics and get a few more cores & threads, or ditch the GPU and get more RAM.

I went with a R5 2600 and I also planned to buy a $100 used card to hold me over till I could upgrade. But did not really seen like the best idea since an RX570 wouild be like another 60. So I put an ad in the local buy n sell that I'm looking for GPU's and ended up getting a free Nvidia Quadro 4000. Yeah that card is old as balls and performance wise it's ranked bottom of the barrel, but it plays Skyrim on max and most of my other games I play are older or not that intensive on graphics I have not yet even had a need to upgrade except for gear lust.