[SOLVED] Low end performance on High end PC

Justin6223

Honorable
Jan 11, 2016
Just wondering why my pc isn't able to run games at decent framerates when it has good hardware and my friends run games better with worse components

Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Ryzen 3600x
MSI gtx 1070 ti
250GB ssd
2TB barracuda
2X 8gb 36000mhz corshair ram
750w bronze power supply
ASROCK B450 Pro4

Gpu and cpu both run at below 70 degrees and up to a maximum of 75 worst case scenario. PC regularly cleaned of dust and no malware or crap on my harddrive since i recently just did a fresh factory reset on PC.

I cant run games like borderlands 3 or COD cold war without stuttering or frame drops. Not even games like league of legends can break 300fps on lowest settings. But my friends with a slower cpu and onyl a 1060 average better fps. In some games i manage to hit 60 fps but it isn't smooth gameplay either. It stutters when an enemy is killed or just randomly and doesn't have that super smooth feeling. I stay ontop of gpu updates and my pc isnt chock a block full of crap either.

Last year i rebuilt my whole pc and changed everything aside from my gpu. i didn't notice much of a difference though. Am i wrong to assume a 3.8 ghz processor, 3600mhz ram and a GPU with 8gb of VRAM is enough for 60fps on modern titles at 1080p? i even lag on world at warcraft in early stages of the game. On some games aswell i can manage to hit 60fps but it wont be smooth. I don't know what to do to fix this ongoing problem thinking of just selling and buying a prebuilt PC because i'm not very knowledgable.

also may be important - sometimes when playing games like black ops 3 or skyrim my pc randomly instantly shuts off and turns back on. Could ym PSU be faulty and causing less pwoer to my main components? It shows up as a kernel power error in windows event viewer

Let me know if you need any more info, Any help is appreciated thank you!

here are my userbenchmark results
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40414109

Last edited:
Solution
That's the issue. Ram speeds. Check in bios that you do not have a profile set to boot, or any changes you make will be overwritten by the profile on next boot.

Check to see if you have software settings in Ryzen Master or ASRock software to set ram to 2133MHz or it'll reset the bios with cmos override.

I'd update the bios as necessary, newer revisions have better Agesa compatibility for ram, so if the pc is having boot issues at post, it will revert to the last known successful boot, which contains a 2133MHz setting.

Putting settings on low in 1080p puts further strain on the cpu, less on gpu. That doesn't raise fps, often has worse results. Cpu = fps limit, gpu = eye candy.

Ryzen boost is responsive not only to temps, but also...
Just wondering why my pc isn't able to run games at decent framerates when it has good hardware and my friends run games better with worse components

Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Ryzen 3600x
MSI gtx 1070 ti
250GB ssd
2TB barracuda
2X 8gb 36000mhz corshair ram
750w bronze power supply
ASROCK B450 Pro4

Gpu and cpu both run at below 70 degrees and up to a maximum of 75 worst case scenario. PC regularly cleaned of dust and no malware or crap on my harddrive since i recently just did a fresh factory reset on PC.

I cant run games like borderlands 3 or COD cold war without stuttering or frame drops. Not even games like league of legends can break 300fps on lowest settings. But my friends with a slower cpu and onyl a 1060 average better fps. In some games i manage to hit 60 fps but it isn't smooth gameplay either. It stutters when an enemy is killed or just randomly and doesn't have that super smooth feeling. I stay ontop of gpu updates and my pc isnt chock a block full of crap either.

Last year i rebuilt my whole pc and changed everything aside from my gpu. i didn't notice much of a difference though. Am i wrong to assume a 3.8 ghz processor, 3600mhz ram and a GPU with 8gb of VRAM is enough for 60fps on modern titles at 1080p? i even lag on world at warcraft in early stages of the game. On some games aswell i can manage to hit 60fps but it wont be smooth. I don't know what to do to fix this ongoing problem thinking of just selling and buying a prebuilt PC because i'm not very knowledgable.

also may be important - sometimes when playing games like black ops 3 or skyrim my pc randomly instantly shuts off and turns back on. Could ym PSU be faulty and causing less pwoer to my main components? It shows up as a kernel power error in windows event viewer

Let me know if you need any more info, Any help is appreciated thank you!

• What is the brand, model and age of the power supply?
  • Your benchmark pic is useless. Where's the rest? Your background CPU use is at 29% which is no good for an accurate test. Close everything else but the benchmark and run it again. Post the hyperlink this time, not an image of half of it.
  • When you rebuilt your pc did you just reinstall windows or did you completely wipe the drive clean and start fresh?
  • What is your 1080p monitor refresh rate?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's the issue. Ram speeds. Check in bios that you do not have a profile set to boot, or any changes you make will be overwritten by the profile on next boot.

Check to see if you have software settings in Ryzen Master or ASRock software to set ram to 2133MHz or it'll reset the bios with cmos override.

I'd update the bios as necessary, newer revisions have better Agesa compatibility for ram, so if the pc is having boot issues at post, it will revert to the last known successful boot, which contains a 2133MHz setting.

Putting settings on low in 1080p puts further strain on the cpu, less on gpu. That doesn't raise fps, often has worse results. Cpu = fps limit, gpu = eye candy.

Ryzen boost is responsive not only to temps, but also voltages. Setting a negative offset for vcore can often give a greater boost because lower voltage use means lower cpu temps sometimes, if there's ample amperage room. If the mosfets are already struggling with amperage, raising voltage can have the same affect, power = volts x amps, which lowers amperage demands.

Your friend might have lower possibile ability, but obviously has a better setup of settings, airflow, ssd, optimization etc and is getting better fps as a result.

Solution

Justin6223

Honorable
Jan 11, 2016

Ryzen boost is responsive not only to temps, but also voltages. Setting a negative offset for vcore can often give a greater boost because lower voltage use means lower cpu temps sometimes, if there's ample amperage room. If the mosfets are already struggling with amperage, raising voltage can have the same affect, power = volts x amps, which lowers amperage demands.

Your friend might have lower possibile ability, but obviously has a better setup of settings, airflow, ssd, optimization etc and is getting better fps as a result.
Thanks for the time and effort in the response i really appreicate it!

I have gone into my bios and enabled xmp and i also made a profile with xmp enabled on it. Im prettysure it wasnt set to boot off of a profile anyway but im not too sure. i looked a ryzen master and asrock software and i couldnt find anything around ram after searching for a bit so i just did it in my bios.

i want to learn how to update my bios because im starting to think that might be an issue aswell like considering the only update ive done for it was when i got an automatic upgrade done from PCcasegear when i ordered my motherboard to begin with to that the ryzen 3600x would be supported in it. and yeha he got his pc prebuilt i think so they would definately have everything optimised and all that stuff.

Justin6223

Honorable
Jan 11, 2016
  • Your benchmark pic is useless. Where's the rest? Your background CPU use is at 29% which is no good for an accurate test. Close everything else but the benchmark and run it again. Post the hyperlink this time, not an image of half of it.
  • When you rebuilt your pc did you just reinstall windows or did you completely wipe the drive clean and start fresh?

Brand - Corsair
model - CX750M
age - less than 6 months brand new bought
benchmark - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40414109

When i installed windows i wiped my drive and then just booted windows off of a usb and installed it fresh - im currently running a free trial
My monitor is a Viewsonic monitor with 60Hz refresh rate its a super old crappy one i think i got off facebook years ago