Low FPS average with RX 480! Please help

MrRileyyy

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
I play a fair few modern games, GTA V, Rainbow 6, PUBG, Planertary Annihilation, SW: Battlefront and so on and so forth.

My build is
CPU - FX-8350 4.0GHz
RAM - Corsair 16GB Vengeance DDR3
GPU - RX 480 8GB Sapphire
Asus M5A99x EVO R2.0
I only run 1920x1080 so if anything, card is being underused!

I rely on Steams FPS overlay to give me an accurate reading but also use some in-game benchmark tests and I'm always averaging 33-44fps, on Medium and High.

Are their settings I'm missing or should be changing? Do I have a bottleneck in my specs, I'd like to think my build is a strong build and shouldn't have may problems playing modern games at Ultra with decent FPS.

Please help, any advice welcome!

Solution
If you drop the resolution to 720p does your fps increase? What resolution are you gaming at?

If dropping resolution gives no fps increase it is most likely a cpu issue. I have some concerns about that cpu on that motherboard but let's see if its a cpu issue first.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
This is likely due to the CPU.

To test:

a) Turn resolution down temporarily to ~400p. If fps does not considerably increase, it proves the CPU is limiting it.

or b) Observe the per core usage of the CPU whilst playing. If atleast one core hovers around 100% usage, it is limiting your FPS.

What you can do if you find out your CPU is bottlenecking:
1. Increase graphical settings as high as you can while still under a CPU bottleneck. This won't increase the framerate but keep it the same while better aesthetics.
2. Possibly use faster ram, which can help when CPU under bottleneck.
3. Upgrade CPU. But on that platform there isn't anything worth while to upgrade. You'd have to upgrade the whole platform.

MrRileyyy

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

Thanks for you response, I've tried out what you said. I put the res down to 720 and bumped it up to Ultra and it ran a pretty steady 60fps. Bumped it back up to 1080 and still averaging around 45 with Ultra.

I ran a monitor on the CPU whilst playing and the GPU, whilst the GPU was constantly using 100% the CPU averaged 37% usage! Why is it so low and what can I do to!? it looks like it's being throttled, any suggestions how I can fix this?

MrRileyyy

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

Fully up to date, version 17.9.1. I have tried downgrading to the standard driver rather than beta (17.7.2) but still same problem.

joedavies87

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
You may want to try AMD's 17.4.4 driver. This was the previous "recommended" driver prior to 17.7.2.

Also, are you using Display Driver Uninstaller when you roll back drivers?

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

Alright, your CPU isn't the issue here. It's the GPU. What temps does it sit on whilst gaming? If you care more for fps rather than graphics, for the mean time reduce your graphics so you receive a desired framerate

Solution