Question Low FPS, do i have a bottleneck, or a problem?

Mar 22, 2023
i bought a prebuilt acer predator orion 5000, it has pretty good parts other than the motherboard they always cheap out on for prebuilts

specs i know of:
  • i7 10700K
  • 2070s
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200mhz
  • Cheap prebuilt z490 motherboard
  • 500GB ssd
  • 2TB hdd
the problem i have is in numerous games, if i change all settings from ultra to low, it doesnt change my fps at all. a good example is The Forest or Sons Of the Forest, and others i cant remember at the top of my head rn but its something i dont quite understand. since i dont think i should have a bottleneck with a 10700k and 2070 super. i read on another post from this forum that if my GPU PerfCap Reason says "idle" while playing then thats a problem? idk. i also notice my CPU only hits a max of 100-110w while playing games which i dont think is normal. from reading online it says it can hit 205w stock, but i am no pc guru so idk.

what i want to know is if i am facing any problems, if so, what are they? i will attach photos from different programs if that helps any. thanks if anyone replies!

Last edited:
Lowering the settings starts to show the maximum FPS the system is capable of, i.e., when the CPU performance is the bottleneck. However, you didn't mention the FPS you're getting, so there's no way to tell if this is supposed to be normal behavior or not.

Also the CPU is designed to only hit 205W for brief periods of time. It's sustained power consumption is about 125W assuming the default, Intel specified settings are used.

Mar 22, 2023
CPU runs at a constant 4.97ghz for any game i play. The Forest i get around 75-135 fps and for sons of the forest i will get ~80-100 fps in single player whether im on ultra or low settings and the mp is weird rn so it will go to 40-60 fps for the whole time playing online. (i asked someone playing what they get and they were getting constant 60fps on a 10 series card with low to high-ish settings)

for other games like Call of Duty Vanguard i would get 150fps somedays and other days on the same map and everything i would get 180-190 with stuttering no one else was experiencing.

i dont think everything is running as it should be. a lot of people with lower specs get around the same fps i would get in some of these games. and im not sure if im using the right chipset drivers because on acer support page for downloads, everything is outdated by 2-3 years.

since its a prebuilt it comes with the program Predator Sense which has little fan control and 3 overclock, settings: Normal, Fast, Turbo

random question - could i use XTU if my motherboard is a z490 but doesnt have parameters in bios to overclock or would i explode my PC? lol

a lot of randomness, i know. but would like to get answers to what i can do etc.. thank you

Last edited:
CPU runs at a constant 4.97ghz for any game i play. The Forest i get around 75-135 fps and for sons of the forest i will get ~80-100 fps in single player whether im on ultra or low settings and the mp is weird rn so it will go to 40-60 fps for the whole time playing online. (i asked someone playing what they get and they were getting constant 60fps on a 10 series card with low to high-ish settings)

for other games like Call of Duty Vanguard i would get 150fps somedays and other days on the same map and everything i would get 180-190 with stuttering no one else was experiencing.
A quick look around on the internet tells me that the performance you're getting for The Forest is expected. Most people are getting around 80-100 FPS on 1080p, which at that resolution with a high-end GPU tends to be more CPU bound if you want higher performance. The Call of Duty variance could be the game, but it would also depend on what else you might be doing at the time of lower performance

i dont think everything is running as it should be. a lot of people with lower specs get around the same fps i would get in some of these games. and im not sure if im using the right chipset drivers because on acer support page for downloads, everything is outdated by 2-3 years.
Lower specs in terms of what? If it's core count, a lot of games can't fully saturate an 8C/16T processor. Most games are still around 6-8 threads total, with a single scheduler thread holding up the line.

random question - could i use XTU if my motherboard is a z490 but doesnt have parameters in bios to overclock or would i explode my PC? lol
You probably could, but given what you presented, I don't think it'll help

TRENDING THREADS