Intel Core i7-8700K Processor
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X
HyperX Predator DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
Corsair RM1000i, 1000W PSU
Corsair Hydro Series H115i CPU Cooler
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, S-1151
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD

So the main issue is my FPS. If i take overwatch as an example, i run OW at High/Medium settings, so not pushing the fps a lot.

I start out a game with 299 FPS, 5 min in, my fps is at 200/179/180. Then it fluctuates, going from 240/250 down to 200/180 and stays there. The only other thing i have running is Chrome with 2 tabs open but this should not affect my FPS that much.

I have checked my temperatures, they never exceed 70 Celcious, ive cleaned out my PC, i have updated everything and Xbox DVR and all that stuff is off. Also checked nvidia controll panel settings and power mode and such to what it should be set to.

Why does my FPS drop with 100 FPS after gaming for a while?
And why does it fluctuate so much?

When i then go onto Fortnite, with highest on most except shadows and post processing on lowest, i am around 120FPS, fluctuating to 90.

And yes, i am running on a 144hz Monitor.

Also my computer feels a bit stuttery/choppy sometimes, just like ingame.

Solution

Are you running the latest drivers? Did you upgrade to the 1080 recently? If so, did you do a clean uninstall of the previous GPU drivers?

When you have frame drops the first thing you look at is temps. You say your temps are fine, next I would look at your drivers. Even if you did not upgrade the system GPU, you may have a driver corruption. I would try a clean uninstall of the drivers. Use the DDU tool below in safemode to remove the old drivers. Then boot back in and download the current drivers from Nvidia...
The content rendered in the game is not static. It constantly changes pending the activity in the game as some frames the system can render faster than others. Frame drops are a part of every game. Nvidia cards do take a few minutes to hit their sustained boost, but that is not causing those frame drops. The frame drops are the game.

What monitor do you have? If you have a 144hz panel, then any fps over 144hz will not be felt. It could be 145fps or 2,000 fps, it would still be shown at 144fps.

Are you running the latest drivers? Did you upgrade to the 1080 recently? If so, did you do a clean uninstall of the previous GPU drivers?

When you have frame drops the first thing you look at is temps. You say your temps are fine, next I would look at your drivers. Even if you did not upgrade the system GPU, you may have a driver corruption. I would try a clean uninstall of the drivers. Use the DDU tool below in safemode to remove the old drivers. Then boot back in and download the current drivers from Nvidia.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Solution