Low FPS in all games on Windows 10

ThatOneGuyHilmer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
I have recently built a new computer and I'm running Windows 10 for the first time. All of my games aren't running over 20 FPS despite graphics quality settings or greatly varied system requirements between the different games. While in game my system (CPU, GPU, Disk) runs at normal levels and never peaks.

I have:
-Made sure all drivers are install and up to date.
-Verified the cache of all of my games.
-Limited Start-up programs and Windows visual effects.
-Allowed beta drivers in Steam Client.
-Set GPU to run at max capacity in Nvidia Control Panel.
-Disabled the Xbox DVR.

I have also ran a hard drive from another computer of mine that runs Windows 7 to try and rule out a hardware issue. With that hard drive in this system I could run all my games at the maximum graphics quality settings with no stuttering or clipping in game.

I've tried all of these things, I'm sure there are a few that aren't coming to mind. If a suggestion is presented that I've tried but failed to mention I will let you know but all suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated. I would also like to apologize for the lengthy post, I've just been at this for a few days now with only minor improvements. Thank you in advance for any and all advice, suggestions, and ideas.

My Specs:
ASRock H97M Pro 4
Intel I7-4790K 4.00GHz
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Asus Geforce GTX 970 OC 4 GB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Solution
Well I just solved mine and I don't know whether to be embarrassed or elated.... the culprit was "severe CPU throttling"!

I neglected to mention, because it didn't seem at all relevant, that this particular computer was living at my girlfriend's house in another state for much of the past year and since we're now consolidating households to my place, I brought the computer home with me on the flight this past weekend....

So I went into the BIOS to see what the settings were for the integrated (Intel) graphics were, and I was flipping through stuff and it said the CPU temp was 94C and there was no reading for the fan. WTF? So I peeked through the case to check the CPU cooler, and was like where the #$%# $%^& $#^ $%& is the cooler? It...

ThatOneGuyHilmer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013

I have the 365.10 driver currently, I have done a clean re-install of even my most unrelated drivers hoping for a magic fix. No luck unfortunately...
I've just run individual diagnostics on my hardware to try and double check that route and ran a benchmark for my GPU but no errors were reported.

This is seeming unsolvable, haha. Not sure if this might bring any other solutions to mind but I noticed my games run at between 60-80 FPS in the title menu's but then drop down to between 10-20 FPS in game and the pause menu.

ThatOneGuyHilmer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
So, I was checking my temps and outputs for my GPU again with STRIX GPU Tweak II (came with the ASUS utilities disk). While checking the GPU support info it say the DirectX Support is only 11.2 whereas Windows says it is DirectX 12. Could this be the issue? I've never used GPU Tweak II before so I do not know much about it. But while I was benchmarking Unigine it was running using DirectX 11 compatibility and was running at 200 FPS while all the settings were maxed out. The specs on this GPU also says it supports DirectX 12 but is it possible to change the compatibility of the DirectX to run DirectX 11? I think I'd like to give this a try.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have a Strix GTX 980 and in GPU Tweak it shows as support for 12.1, I wouldn't expect a 970 to only have 11 (I only use tweak to set a minimum fan speed in summer to help keep pc cooler). Do you have latest version of GPU Tweak?

Latest version released 2 weeks ago: https://www.asus.com/au/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/HelpDesk_Download/

Also, these people say its 12.1 so I wouldn't worry: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

ThatOneGuyHilmer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm just sort of at a point where everything feels like it could possibly be issue.

otep0323

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Hi, this might be a month old thread but since it is not solved yet, let me share with you same experience, and the solution that help me solve this issue.

I am using FX 8350, 8GB Ram, Powercolor R9 280 3GB card and enjoying 50 to 70fps in games like BF4, Far Cry 4 using Windows 8.1. When the free upgrade to windows 10 keeps popping up on my taskbar, i decided to upgrade since its free and im looking forward to DX12. Everything looks so good and fine, until I ran BF4, my FPS max is 30. I trid other games and worst, 25fps.

I search net for answer, re-install drivers, clean uninstall Graphic card and install latest version, and all did not fix the issue. I was about to return back to Windows 8.1 when i decided to check my AMD overdrive, my clock and memory was set to lowest. If i change it, seems like no effect. What i did is to download MSI Afterburner, adjusted the core clock and memory at my preferred speed, save the profile, and checked always run and apply at startup. Now all my games are back to normal 50-70fps.
I know we have different brand of card, but there's no harm in trying.

Goodluck and let us know if this will solve your problem.

ThatOneGuyHilmer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion, and I apologize for the late reply, been busy with work and all. I run ASUS Tweak II that came with my ASUS driver disk for my GPU and tried adjusting a few things but it only gave me a 5fps boost overall...

phxrider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
This is nuts... I am having the exact same issue with very close to the same stuff. I am also a sysadmin for a living and a long time computer geek and overclocker and have built many systems. I know what I'm doing, and I am pretty stumped at the moment. This is very strange, I upgraded my main system 8.1->10 without any problems other than having to uninstall/reinstall a few things, and did a clean install on my older system (and old AMD Phenom 2 980 with a GTX 770 card) and it flew through games pretty well when I set it up.

Here's the system:

ASRock H97 Pro4
i5 4590
16GB RAM
EVGA 970 FTW
Windows 10 Pro x64, clean install
Fresh install of latest NVIDIA drivers

I ran Far Cry Primal to test it, and it was like it was running on a business class laptop... a top FPS of about 20, but usually the single digits. The same computer with Windows 7 ran about averaged a smooth high 40s with everything maxed at 1080P in this game.

I made a list while on a break at work, of things to test when I get home. It's various suggestions from the forums, I don't expect much from a lot of them and they sound like grabbing at straws, but what they heck....

1. In Nvidia settings, play with these:
a. Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
b. Vertical sync- Off
c. Threaded optimization - off
d. Triple buffering - off

2. DDU and test out older drivers

3. SSD firmware

4. Check CPU power options, make sure max power setting is 100%

5. Check monitor refresh rate

6. Check settings in Windows Ultimate Tweaker from my other computer and make sure everything is mirrored (if this is fruitful I'll post the settings). Also try turning off all the spyware crap they added to Win10.

7. Disable Intel integrated graphics in the BIOS or update its drivers.

phxrider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
Well I just solved mine and I don't know whether to be embarrassed or elated.... the culprit was "severe CPU throttling"!

I neglected to mention, because it didn't seem at all relevant, that this particular computer was living at my girlfriend's house in another state for much of the past year and since we're now consolidating households to my place, I brought the computer home with me on the flight this past weekend....

So I went into the BIOS to see what the settings were for the integrated (Intel) graphics were, and I was flipping through stuff and it said the CPU temp was 94C and there was no reading for the fan. WTF? So I peeked through the case to check the CPU cooler, and was like where the #$%# $%^& $#^ $%& is the cooler? It was sitting in the bottom of the case and the CPU was bare. I don't know if TSA was screwing around thinking it was a bomb (they're bright like that) or it just bounced off, but the cooler mount was broken. I had the stock one from my liquid cooled i7 still in the box unused, so I put that on and except for something in this fan is rubbing wrong and making a really annoying noise, all was right again. Ordered a new cooler from Newegg.

Lesson (re)learned - if performance sucks, check your CPU temps! On another note, I'm really impressed that the CPU took running with no heat sink whatsoever as well as it did. Kudos to Intel for building really tough chips!

So current Nvidia drivers are fine, and I didn't really do anything that I wouldn't do anyway to the system - just shut off some of the worst MS spyware, updated drivers and firmware. I think it's good to go now!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS