Question Low FPS in Fortnite with superb hardware ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2022
Hi -

Just can't figure out whats going on with my computer. I bought a brand new, quite high end computer in September/October '21, and while playing games like COD etc. the performance is great; once I play Fortnite its terrible.

I have updated drivers, I have tried all different setups in settings like changing DirectX Mode etc.

It seems to be a CPU issue as while in task manager (or equivalent for monitoring) its at 100%, mostly used by Fortnite.

Setup is:
Intel i9-11900
RTX 3080 Phoenix
Corsair DDR4 2666mhz 32GB ram
1TB Kingston A2000 NVMe M.2 SSD
750W PSU

While I first got the PC performance in all games where great; including Fortnite. Now, its not anymore. FPS drops from 140 to 60-70 in "high stress situations" etc. Mostly very unstable and the game is quite unplayable - which sucks as its the only game I now play with my son.

Thanks for all help, and I came here because I see a lot of the posts I get in my Google searches are from here :) Hope you guys can help out figure it out, as it makes no sense to me. But I am also quite the beginner.

Thanks, and if you have any questions - go ahead - I'll answer as swiftly & concisely as possible :)

Hey there,

Yes, I can see how that sucks, big time.

Your CPU should not be at 100% for that game. What other tasks are running? it's possible it's another program/app hogging CPU cycles. Maybe start with a full system scan, virus, malware etc. Make sure nothing is working against you in the background.

What kinda temps are your CPU/GPU hitting during gameplay. Notice anything out of the ordinary? You can also set up MSI OSD to display CPU/GPU metrics on screen while you are playing. This can help isolate 100% usage scenarios.

Have you update all your system drivers too? Along with a clean install of the most recent Nvidia driver.

Which mobo are you running? Updating the bios to the most recent one may help with system stability and performance.

Edit: Also, what exact PSU do you have? Make and model.

Reactions: Satan-IR
Mar 16, 2022
PSU: Corsair TX750M
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B560-F Gaming WiFi

Updated drivers for most stuff - there might be a newer bios update, but that wasn't an issue earlier when it worked perfectly in Fortnite too.

I did go from Win 10 to Win 11 in this time period. How much an effect could that have?

I did a clean install of windows - still same issue

Clean install of GPU drivers - still same issue

CPU temperatures:
Around 60-70 Celsius (from top of my head; not near computer now -- when I checked using Armoury Crate which comes with it all seemed perfectly fine)

About other tasks running - I play more hardware intensive games and it's a total non-issue; it all runs perfectly.

As mentioned above; not by my computer at - but I could check for processes running, but did that before and nothing out of the ordinary; it seemed. If you would say it's relevant.

Thanks alot for any help!

Mar 16, 2022
It is only Fortnite using any resources to speak of; theres something called "Antimalware service executable" that takes up about 2-2,5%; and then a ton of small processes running - and then you got fortnite claiming whatevers left of % :/

It is only Fortnite using any resources to speak of; theres something called "Antimalware service executable" that takes up about 2-2,5%; and then a ton of small processes running - and then you got fortnite claiming whatevers left of % :/

Can you post a picture of it here?

That just doesn't add up. 'If' all your drivers are up to date, including chipset etc, and you've tried most things, I'd suggest updating the bios. Make sure to clear CMOS afterwards. It could just be an instability glitch with bios. Let us know how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.