[SOLVED] Low FPS in Some Games After 1080Ti Upgrade

Oct 13, 2018
Hello,

I recently added the following upgrades to my computer:

1070 ---> Aorus 1080TI
Corsair H50 ---> Kraken x62
Corsair CX600M ---> EVGA 850 G1+
6700k @ 4.4GHz ---> 6700k @ 4.7GHz

After upgrading my GPU, I saw identical or worse FPS performance to my old 1070 in some games, while some games I experienced an expected increase in FPS.

Some of my benchmarks in 1080p are as followed:

Witcher III: 170 fps average (increase in FPS)
Heaven Benchmark: 160 fps average (increase in FPS)
Valley Benckmark: 170 fps average (increase in FPS)
Minecraft Shaders: 200 fps average (increase in FPS)
PUBG: 200 fps average (increase in FPS)
Bioshock Infinite: 220 fps average (increase in FPS)

CSGO: 350 fps average (identical FPS) expected ~500 fps
Fortnite: 250 fps average (identical FPS) expected ~350 fps
GTA V: 100 fps average (identical FPS) expected ~160 fps

DOOM 2016: 90 fps average (decrease from 170 fps average) expected ~200 fps

Many of these averages are sub-par for a 1080Ti, and I cannot figure out why this occurring despite my research. I have used DDU to completely uninstall and reinstall my drivers, and CPU and GPU temps are fine. One thing I have noticed is low GPU usage in the last four games. CPU usage sits around 60 - 100%, while GPU usage sits around 20 - 50%. I am assuming that this is the cause of the problem, but I cannot figure out why it is these specific games that I have low GPU usage in, and how to potentially fix the problem.

One thing that may be notable is that I bought this GPU used, but in great condition. The previous owner stated that he used this GPU for mining, but only for roughly a month. The card still has about a year of warranty on it, but I'd like to figure out a solution before I'm out of a GPU for a weeks.

Thanks!

Solution
If you are getting near 100% CPU utilization in a game, then your CPU is what's limiting performance. The graphics card handles graphics rendering, but other things such as physics, AI and netcode are generally performed by the CPU. Both the CPU and the graphics card have to perform their own tasks each frame, and if one finishes before the other, then it has to wait until all processing is completed. If one or more of your CPU cores were already maxed out before the 1080 Ti upgrade, then the new card will still need to wait for your CPU to finish processing data before it can begin drawing the next frame.

You mention overclocking your CPU from 4.4 to 4.7GHz, but ultimately that's only about a 7% difference, so if a game's...
Your framerates you said didn't increase look very normal from what I'm seeing on YouTube. You didn't mention GTAV settings, maxed out you could expect less than 100fps.

*I just say your DOOM perf. Idk.. Would be great to see a video with MSI AFterburner OSD up and running.

If you are getting near 100% CPU utilization in a game, then your CPU is what's limiting performance. The graphics card handles graphics rendering, but other things such as physics, AI and netcode are generally performed by the CPU. Both the CPU and the graphics card have to perform their own tasks each frame, and if one finishes before the other, then it has to wait until all processing is completed. If one or more of your CPU cores were already maxed out before the 1080 Ti upgrade, then the new card will still need to wait for your CPU to finish processing data before it can begin drawing the next frame.

You mention overclocking your CPU from 4.4 to 4.7GHz, but ultimately that's only about a 7% difference, so if a game's performance happened to be CPU limited before, you shouldn't expect more than 7% higher frame rates from an overclock in that game.

With an enthusiast-level card like a 1080 Ti at 1080p resolution, it's only natural for some games to run into CPU performance limitations before they become limited by the graphics card, even with the highest-end CPUs currently available. This is especially true for games with less-demanding graphics requirements, like CS:GO and Fortnite. Once you start getting to super-high frame rates like those, things like RAM performance might start playing a role as well. In any case, even high refresh rate monitors won't redraw the screen more than 144 to 240 times per second, so it likely doesn't matter much for those games.

As for Doom, you shouldn't be getting lower performance, so something must be going on there. It's most likely not an issue with the card though. Perhaps the game detected the new card and enabled more demanding settings or something? You might want to make sure that something like supersampling isn't enabled, since supersampling will effectively render the game at a higher resolution and then shrink it down to fit your screen.

Solution
Oct 13, 2018
I agree with your suggestion that it may be an unnoticed graphics setting that is slowing down GTA V and DOOM. I have checked several times for graphics settings in the nvidia control panel and in-game, and I cannot find anything suspicious enabled. I went into Geforce Experience and set the graphics settings to low in there, and noticed a slight but substandard improvement in GTA V. In DOOM, no matter the resolution or graphics settings, fps remains around 80-100, even in 480p or 2160p. This in my mind disproves a bottleneck, and makes me even more confused as what the problem is.