Question low fps on rust with decent computer

Feb 19, 2024
hey, i'm really out of options at this point so i didn't know where else to ask this. i have tried every fix to try to improve my fps on rust and nothing works. i even contacted facepunch and nothing they said helped. basically, my rust can not run at above 80 fps. it constantly drops down to 10-20 fps randomly making it pretty much unplayable. im pretty sure it isnt a problem with rust and more likely something i have to change with my computer. i have played rust on the lowest possible graphic settings and still the same fps ranges.
here's my specs.
gpu - 3080 ti
cpu - amd ryzen 9 5900x 12 core
memory - 64 gigs
motherboard - msi tomahawk max II b450
storage - samsung ssd evo plus 2 terabytes
power supply - corsair 2023 gold 1000w
if there's any other information you might need let me know

I would run UserBenchMark and post a link to the results.
It's helpful to the community to see how your system is performing against same spec rigs worldwide.
Although some people here consider it to be psuedo science, I regard it as an easy step to document your components as configured and running in your system which may show up some obvious problems and shortcut to a solution.

I see it states "Server full" at the moment. Someone ran this maybe 2 days ago without problems in a thread I commented on.
Definitely dont want to "sign in (Pro)". If its gone pay only, then I apologise and only suggested UBM as a free utility.
Its also displaying "Captcha Queue" which according to a brief google search, I interpreted as a way for the server to get a "Real user" to spend a little time to verify that they are not a bot spamming the UBM servers.
Either way, it does not solve your immediate problems.

So, what make, model, speed is your ram at, have you got the XMP enabled ?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024
hey, yeah i tried userbenchmark but the server was full. my ram is the speed is 2400. not sure what XMP is but i dont believe i have it because when i look it up it says its intel only?

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB 2x

madaraosenpai

Honorable
Oct 27, 2018
Maybe try the OCCT benchmark?

Please also run a monitoring tool such as Rivatuner while playing and let us know where the performance spikes are occurring.

I would also take a look at the Garbage Collection Buffer in your game settings under the "Experimental" section. If the GC Buffer is too small then the mono.dll interpreter used by the game engine will need to throw away unused data more frequently, in extremely bad cases this can cause stuttering and sometimes loss in framerates like you are experiencing. Please keep in mind that turning this up by just a few hundred MB can easily increase the game's RAM usage several times that.

my ram is the speed is 2400. not sure what XMP is but i dont believe i have it because when i look it up it says its intel only?
2400 Mhz should be okay enough for Rust, and yeah XMP is an Intel feature as far as I know.

Feb 19, 2024

Please also run a monitoring tool such as Rivatuner while playing and let us know where the performance spikes are occurring.

I would also take a look at the Garbage Collection Buffer in your game settings under the "Experimental" section. If the GC Buffer is too small then the mono.dll interpreter used by the game engine will need to throw away unused data more frequently, in extremely bad cases this can cause stuttering and sometimes loss in framerates like you are experiencing. Please keep in mind that turning this up by just a few hundred MB can easily increase the game's RAM usage several times that.

2400 Mhz should be okay enough for Rust, and yeah XMP is an Intel feature as far as I know.
hey, i'll try the occt benchmark and download rivatuner. i'll also check out the garbage collection buffer. thanks for the help.

Reactions: madaraosenpai
Feb 19, 2024

hey i ran the benchmark and my cpu and ram seem to be running worse than they should be. not sure how to upload images on this site but my cpu is running a lot below average on both the multiple threads tests. meanwhile my ram is running below average as well on all the tests. im guessing my pc is bottle necked?

Mar 4, 2024
you could try overclocking the memory to 3200mhz which i dont always recommend or buy a kit with 3200mhz speeds.. that should fix that cpu/ram problem... your cpu is not running at top performance due to slow ram..