[SOLVED] Low FPS - TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Hi I'm receiving substandard FPS whilst using my new RTX 3080.
I recently purchased it to replace my GTX 1080 sniper card expecting to boost my FPS in games such as VALORANT, PUBG, Counter Strike etc, Mainly FPS games.
But I've noticed once I upgraded to this card It's literally stayed the same FPS I was getting from my 1080 with maybe a minor boost, but still fluctuates around 200 fps in VALORANT which since I recently purchased a 360Hz monitor to pair the 3080 card with. Pretty bummed about this outcome and I'm seeing a few threads saying the same thing.

These are my specs -
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K 8 Core LGA 1151 3.6GHz CPU Processor
GPU: TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080
RAM: 32GB DDR4 - x4 Kingston 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL17 DIMM 1Rx8
PSU: EVGA 750W SuperNOVA GA 80+ Gold Power Supply
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

I've tried overclocking my GPU and it's given me the same FPS.
I even played Counter Strike Source and got 280 FPS on it (Release date: 7 Oct 2004 )
I'm not quite sure if this is just due to the games I'm trying or I just got a bad card.
Anyway, It says I'm getting only slightly below average on this test: 3DMARK

Not sure what to do. I've set the priority for these games to Realtime in task manager.
I've set all the power options I know of to high performance.
My GPU only utilizes 20% and my CPU ~30% Memory usage is low also.
Any suggestions would be helpful :)

Last edited:

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
As per the first suggestion, download and use DDU (in safe mode w/internet unplugged) and install the latest NVIDIA drivers (youtube has good tutorials on using DDU, not too complicated).
  • Also, if you don't already have the GPU plugged into the 16x PCIE slot, make sure you do (usually the topmost full PCIe slot on the motherboard.
  • Here's one that I experienced, on coincidentally an i9-9900k that I built for a customer, the GPU was getting really low scores, it turned out that it was thermal throttling (slowing down purposely due to temps) because the fan profile was jacked up. I installed MSI afterburner and set the fan profile/curve to kick up to 100% at 70c and that fixed the problem. Note, it was a swapped out GPU as well, although from an RTX 2070 to a 1080 TI (he cared more about more memory than ray tracing and wanted to switch).

Getting anywhere close to 360 fps requires not only a powerful GPU, but that every other component in your rendering pipeline be incredibly well optimized. People can get away with slow RAM and a less than ideal CPUs if they're only trying to hit 60-100 fps, but beyond that and especially when trying to hit 300+ fps, you need to have those sorted.

• RAM: I know you've already invested in having 32 GB of RAM, but the setup you have is far from ideal. When chasing the highest frame rates, you want your RAM setup to be ideal; RAM-related slowness prevents your CPU from running at its best, giving the impression that your CPU is underperforming (which it is, albeit artificially). You have two problems with your RAM: its too slow, and you have 4 sticks. The ideal RAM setup is two sticks of RAM running with a combination of high MHz and low latency. Two sticks; not one, not four. Four sticks can make it harder to achieve a high/consistent RAM overclock and one stick severely slows everything down. I recommend 2 sticks of 16 GB RAM running at least at 3000 - 3600 MHz (even faster is better if you can afford it) with the lowest latency rating available.
  • CPU: you have a CPU that is definitely capable of high frame rates, but it needs to be overclocked in order to make full use of its abilities. Problem is, the i9-9900k produces a ton of heat when overclocked, so a 280 mm AIO is recommended; most air coolers can't keep up with the heat that is produced. With a 280 mm AIO, 5.0 GHz on all cores should be easy to overclock to, with some chips hitting 5.1 GHz (my i7-9700k does 5.1 GHz on all 8 cores).
Yes, it might seem like a lot of work, but chasing competitive fps (300+) is the PC version of doing it the hard way. Until you get your CPU and RAM running at their best, your GPU will be underutilized since its just waiting for your CPU and RAM to get their act together and feed it the frames its asking for.

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Getting anywhere close to 360 fps requires not only a powerful GPU, but that every other component in your rendering pipeline be incredibly well optimized. People can get away with slow RAM and a less than ideal CPUs if they're only trying to hit 60-100 fps, but beyond that and especially when trying to hit 300+ fps, you need to have those sorted.

• RAM: I know you've already invested in having 32 GB of RAM, but the setup you have is far from ideal. When chasing the highest frame rates, you want your RAM setup to be ideal; RAM-related slowness prevents your CPU from running at its best, giving the impression that your CPU is underperforming (which it is, albeit artificially). You have two problems with your RAM: its too slow, and you have 4 sticks. The ideal RAM setup is two sticks of RAM running with a combination of high MHz and low latency. Two sticks; not one, not four. Four sticks can make it harder to achieve a high/consistent RAM overclock and one stick severely slows everything down. I recommend 2 sticks of 16 GB RAM running at least at 3000 - 3600 MHz (even faster is better if you can afford it) with the lowest latency rating available.
  • CPU: you have a CPU that is definitely capable of high frame rates, but it needs to be overclocked in order to make full use of its abilities. Problem is, the i9-9900k produces a ton of heat when overclocked, so a 280 mm AIO is recommended; most air coolers can't keep up with the heat that is produced. With a 280 mm AIO, 5.0 GHz on all cores should be easy to overclock to, with some chips hitting 5.1 GHz (my i7-9700k does 5.1 GHz on all 8 cores).
Yes, it might seem like a lot of work, but chasing competitive fps (300+) is the PC version of doing it the hard way. Until you get your CPU and RAM running at their best, your GPU will be underutilized since its just waiting for your CPU and RAM to get their act together and feed it the frames its asking for.

So I just grabbed some of these from my work, New 32gb Ram. Still no increase upon installation. I haven't tried overclocking my ram, I tried overclocking my CPU through my bios using an older video on youtube. No fps increase.

I may be wrong but I feel like I should be achieving better FPS for the components I have :/

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
As per the first suggestion, download and use DDU (in safe mode w/internet unplugged) and install the latest NVIDIA drivers (youtube has good tutorials on using DDU, not too complicated).
  • Also, if you don't already have the GPU plugged into the 16x PCIE slot, make sure you do (usually the topmost full PCIe slot on the motherboard.
  • Here's one that I experienced, on coincidentally an i9-9900k that I built for a customer, the GPU was getting really low scores, it turned out that it was thermal throttling (slowing down purposely due to temps) because the fan profile was jacked up. I installed MSI afterburner and set the fan profile/curve to kick up to 100% at 70c and that fixed the problem. Note, it was a swapped out GPU as well, although from an RTX 2070 to a 1080 TI (he cared more about more memory than ray tracing and wanted to switch).

I used the DDU and reinstalled the drivers using nvidia experience (not in safemode with my ethernet still connected)

Also when I installed the ram I realized I could fit the GPU in the top PCIE slot, (I assumed I couldn't because it's a smaller motherboard and my CPU cooler is kind of obstructing it)
So I did that, It didn't increase frames sadly. but at least it's checked off the list.

So I just grabbed some of these from my work, New 32gb Ram. Still no increase upon installation. I haven't tried overclocking my ram, I tried overclocking my CPU through my bios using an older video on youtube. No fps increase.

I may be wrong but I feel like I should be achieving better FPS for the components I have :/

Is your RAM XMP profile enabled in the BIOS? Otherwise it'll run at the same low speeds as your old RAM.

What speed did you overclock your CPU to?

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
gg51sDL.png

I enabled that XMP profile and It's hitting a consistent 250 - 300+ FPS
It seems you were correct. one of the biggest bottlenecks is the RAM. I guess I just have to purchase some better RAM ASAP

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Also for some reason my PC blue screens every time I run a benchmark in Intel Extreme Tuning. Could someone link me a decent CPU overlocking tutorial? - I can't find one with my latest BIOS version

gg51sDL.png

I enabled that XMP profile and It's hitting a consistent 250 - 300+ FPS
It seems you were correct. one of the biggest bottlenecks is the RAM. I guess I just have to purchase some better RAM ASAP

Happy to help!

The general consensus on this forum is that RAM speed doesn't make a very big difference for Intel CPUs when it comes to frame rate which is true for most use cases (gamers aiming for somewhere between 60-144 fps), but your use case is a more extreme one (300+ fps) and puts more stress on your GPU's supporting components (RAM, CPU) than most builds.

Feb 4, 2021
Dang I hope you find a solution, because i'm having legit the same problem as you! LOL my friend has the same set up as me but he gets easily over 450+FPS and i have a 360hz monitor so I want to get above 360 fps as well... It's sort of frustrating. Hopefully we figure out something though

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
I just updated my ram and my motherboard and my CPU, still low fps. I thought updating the ram actually made a difference, but it really hasn't. Still achieving sub par~ 80 - 200 fps in Valorant.. my new specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K 10 Core LGA 1200 3.70GHz CPU Processor
GPU: TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080
RAM: Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 Vengeance LPX 3600MHz DDR4 RAM - Black
PSU: EVGA 750W SuperNOVA GA 80+ Gold Power Supply
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard
NVMe: Samsung PM961 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB

I have an M.2 drive I'm using for my operating system, I'm going to try installing a fresh copy of windows onto my other SSD instead, in hopes of maybe fixing something?
- this NVMe drive is pretty cheap, maybe hosting windows on my other ssd might change something...

Last edited:

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Dang I hope you find a solution, because i'm having legit the same problem as you! LOL my friend has the same set up as me but he gets easily over 450+FPS and i have a 360hz monitor so I want to get above 360 fps as well... It's sort of frustrating. Hopefully we figure out something though

Yeah man, I have no clue what the actual cause of this is.
I've tried pretty much everything I've been suggested, with no luck :/
Please dm / post to this thread if you figure anything out.

ensei777

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Bench mark video with same specs
- I run the game at low, and as you can see this guys getting a consistent 450fps
He's has pretty much the same specs from what I can see, Maybe more ram.

Also a side note, there's someone posting in the comments saying he has the same set up yet he's getting 250fps - similar to me...