[SOLVED] Low FPS with 2080 super pls advise?

SlashR4

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Hello all thanks for taking the time to read this!

I just bought an ASUS 2080 Super ROG Strix OC. Proceeded to try out old games as I heard AC ODYSSEY would run at 90 FPS. When I ran it on max settings I got 24- 34 FPS at one of the early second villages you visit in the game and this is at 1080p. Even in open areas with not much going on it was 33 - 40

im not sure if it’s because I broke my first pcie slot when pulling out my old zotac card cuz it was pretty tight and had to put my gfx card in the second pcie slot.

my system specs are as follows:

i7 8700k
16gb ddr4 ram
z390 Phantom Gaming 4

even for MHw my fps with the high res textures downloaded says that I hit 38 FPS in ancient forest areas and 55 in less populated areas. First town is anywhere from 44 to 60 fps

what should I do? Thanks!

Solution
Since both components are under performing, you can't find a second psu cable to effectively power the RTX 2080 super AND you have no idea what power supply make and model you have -> You should purchase another better quality power supply to test with. If it doesn't work out return it.

PCPartPicker Part List
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 17:43 EST-0500

SlashR4

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I have an 850 watt bronze or silver I can’t remember cuz that’s the only thing that I didn’t need to upgrade after all these years. I do use the one cable that splits into two 8 pin connectors because thats what I used for the zotac amp extreme 1070 back in the day. I’m not sure if I can find another one but can do. I’m guessing, after doing sone research that it is likely that the pcie slot I’m using is likely to be x4 and not x16 so will that make a huge difference? I’m guessing that might be the case? Thanks so much for all the replies so far and for helping me cheers!

Hmm I just saw a video of the difference between a PCIe x4 vs a PCIex16 - shouldn't be that much of a difference like the one I'm experiencing. -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2G9MaXe3c

I'm gonna see if I can find the power supply and see if I can find another 8 pin in there somewhere. As I recall this was the only one I could find on hand - the one that splits into two 8 pin connectors.

Perhaps I should also try to uninstall the graphics drivers again even tho I updated them? Maybe there's some hardware remnant that is causing this issue? I dunno just grasping at straws. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SlashR4

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
UPDATE:

Took my computer to the store - they said everything is working fine after putting my 2080 Super in the first PCIe Slot.

Still, the benchmarks don't add up - Running Timespy on 3D Mark my 2080 super is rated at a score of 9631 as opposed to the supposed 11k+ in other online reviews.

My i7 8700k according to Timespy is also underperforming - it's at 5490 when my core clocks are all boosted to 4300mhz

I've gone online to GPU checker and even a vanilla 2080 with an i7 8700k is getting on average 30 more frames than me in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Shadow of the Tomb Raider around 40 fps more...

Please help...

Thanks in advance!

Since both components are under performing, you can't find a second psu cable to effectively power the RTX 2080 super AND you have no idea what power supply make and model you have -> You should purchase another better quality power supply to test with. If it doesn't work out return it.

PCPartPicker Part List
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 17:43 EST-0500

Last edited:
Solution

SlashR4

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Hello thanks for the advice - will probably do that but i found out that my PSU is 850 watts bronze. I'm not sure if the bronze makes a difference.

I've reset Windows - and now User Benchmark reports that my gfx card is over performing which is nice but CPU is still underperforming.

Before I reset I checked the power /sleep bit and made sure it was at 100 - when I ran the User benchmark then it said that both GPU and CPU were operating fine. Despite this Timespy still returned a result of just over 5k for CPU but GPU hit over 9k.

After reset and having checked the power /sleep CPU power at 100 it says that my CPU is 20th percentile but graphics card is running great.

Ran Unigine and compared the results with my friend's i7 4770k and 1080 and my frames were just about 10% better than his...

So i guess its possible that my PSU is dying...It's been at least 6 years old I think. Thanks so much Sarge!