Question Low FPS with new 4070 Ti AERO 12G

Jun 2, 2024
I never really had a fair good amount of fps playing with my old rx 5700xt and rx 6700xt but now I put a 4070 ti and nothing changed!
I make between 40 and 120 fps playing Arena Breakout Infinite and I think it's waaaay too much of a wobbling. 40-120 it's a very wide and weird range for fps at the same game.

Here's my specs:

• Mobo: MSI Tomahawk MAX
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz
  • GPU: GeForce RTX 4070 Ti AERO OC 12G
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold
Here's what I tried so far:

• Yes I did install mobo, cpu and all drivers
  • I tried wiping the system and reinstalling different versions of Windows 10 (Clean install from USB, wiping disks first).
  • I removed all sleeved cables
  • I unplugged the 2 cables from psu to gpu and now only using 1
  • I used DDU to wipe drivers and reinstalled
  • Unplugged all extra monitors
Tried a few benchmarks too and didn't find any bootleneck apparently. Both GPU and CPU usage stays between 40% and 60%.

What else can I try?

Open to any suggestion

Solution
Hey there,

Sadly, as pointed out, this is most likely your CPU holding back the GPU. With the CPU remaining the same, then overall the FPS in game won't change much even with a better GPU.

You CPU sends pre-rendered frames to the GPU. The GPU then takes that data and does all the fancy bits and displays it on screen. Your GPU is waiting on those frames to take full advantage of it's capabilities.

For example (and I'm being general here), if your CPU can pump out 100fps, and your GPU is capable of processing more than those pre-rendered frames, then the GPU will always be waiting on the CPU. I'd say you have high CPU usage and low GPU usage, is that correct?

You ideally need a faster CPU to provide the GPU pre-rendered frames faster...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold
How old is the unit in your build?

I unplugged the 2 cables from psu to gpu and now only using 1
Please elaborate.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I tried wiping the system and reinstalling different versions of Windows 10 (Clean install from USB, wiping disks first).
Where did you source the installers for the OS?

with my old rx 5700xt and rx 6700xt
Did your PSU listed above drive those GPU's throughout it's tenure in your build?

Make and model of your case and the number and orientation of the fans in said case? What sort of temps do you see when your CPU and GPU are taxed?

Reactions: m0n0t0ny
PSU: Corsair RM650x
all of the RTX 4070 Ti models i've seen recommend a minimum 700-750w power supply.

if this card is not allowed it's full operating power then it will be severely held back.
plus, if this is an older unit it may just be showing it's age by not being able to keep up with the draw while the card is being stressed.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
that's not exactly a fast/powerful CPU either.
you may be seeing similar performance across that range of cards just because it's the most frames this chip can process.

Reactions: PEnns and m0n0t0ny
Jun 2, 2024
Hi Lutfij and JohnBonhamsGhost, tahnk you for your replies!

PSU: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold
How old is the unit in your build?
The PSU is about 4 years old, same for the motherboard and the cpu, RAMs are less than 2yo.
I tried to keep the whole build as clean as possible throughout the years with a lot of dusting and fairly good maintenance.

I unplugged the 2 cables from psu to gpu and now only using 1
Please elaborate.
I used to have 2 separate cables to power the GPU. 1 psu outlet per cable. Used to be 2 8pins for the PSU ending in 2 6+2 to the previous AMD GPU.
Now some suggestedd to try using just 1 cable, the 8pin plugged to the psu while the end split in 2 attached to the psu with 2x 6+2pin.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
BIOS is up to date with the lates version for my mobo (7C02v3I).

Where did you source the installers for the OS?
I always use the Media Creation Tool from MS found at this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/it-it/software-download/windows10
I tried a different usb stick each time I wiped and reinstalled the OS just to make sure...

with my old rx 5700xt and rx 6700xt
Did your PSU listed above drive those GPU's throughout it's tenure in your build?
Yes, the same PSU powered all 3 GPUs I mentioned.
It feels like it gave its very best with the 5700xt with incredible results. I used to make very good FPS with the rx 5700xtbut then burned it and got a full refund.

Make and model of your case and the number and orientation of the fans in said case?
What sort of temps do you see when your CPU and GPU are taxed?
I have an NZXT H7 Flow with a Kraken z270 for my cpu and 7 NZXT AER RGB 2 120mm:
6 are intaking from the front panel and the top and just 1 is pulling out from the back (tried different combo but so far this was the best with my old GPUs.
Temps are aaall good! I benchmarked with FireStrike (3dmark), Aida64, Heaven Benchmark 4.0, AMD Ryzen Matser and looks to me that temperatures are ok (always below 80° Celsius) and nothing really seems to be bottlenecking 🤷‍♂️.

all of the RTX 4070 Ti models i've seen recommend a minimum 700-750w power supply.
JohnBonhamsGhost do you think getting a new PSU should solve the issue?

that's not exactly a fast/powerful CPU either.
I know... CPU isn't the newest but still makes a good job done, I swear! That CPU is impressive 😂

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024
Keep using two pcie power cables (first connector each) to power the gpu.

Personally think that the 3600 starts to show it's limitations with this new gpu.
CPU is definitely getting older but it doesn't seem to be bottlenecking from the benchmarks...
How could I state if is either the PSU, CPU, RAM or Mobo bottlenecking?

@Vic 40 and @JohnBonhamsGhost what component would you bet is causing the issue?

what component would you bet is causing the issue?..is either the PSU, CPU, RAM or Mobo bottlenecking?
if the PSU is not providing proper power then the card will at least be limited in it's performance,
you would be getting better overall system performance with a better CPU,
if that's a 16GB(2x 8GB) RAM kit and not just 2x single kit sticks mixed together than it's fine,
the motherboard is pretty nice.

have you ever encountered crashing, black screens, graphical artifacting, or any visual issues when stressing the system in any way?

Jun 2, 2024
the series' time frame has nothing to do with it's potential.
it's just not a very powerful CPU even if it was the newest series out there.
Just saw the cooling spoiler, will try for sure!!
Yeah, gotta change to a newer cpu...
What would you go for between these 2?
- intel 12700KF
- amd ryzen 7 5800x

if that's a 16GB(2x 8GB) RAM kit and not just 2x single kit sticks mixed together than it's fine,
It's 2x8 out of the same box :)

have you ever encountered crashing, black screens, graphical artifacting, or any visual issues when stressing the system in any way?
Not recently.

Hey there,

Sadly, as pointed out, this is most likely your CPU holding back the GPU. With the CPU remaining the same, then overall the FPS in game won't change much even with a better GPU.

You CPU sends pre-rendered frames to the GPU. The GPU then takes that data and does all the fancy bits and displays it on screen. Your GPU is waiting on those frames to take full advantage of it's capabilities.

For example (and I'm being general here), if your CPU can pump out 100fps, and your GPU is capable of processing more than those pre-rendered frames, then the GPU will always be waiting on the CPU. I'd say you have high CPU usage and low GPU usage, is that correct?

You ideally need a faster CPU to provide the GPU pre-rendered frames faster. Then the GPU usage will go up, as will your overall FPS.

Reactions: m0n0t0ny
Solution
Just saw the cooling spoiler, will try for sure!!
Yeah, gotta change to a newer cpu...
What would you go for between these 2?
- intel 12700KF
- amd ryzen 7 5800x

It's 2x8 out of the same box :)

Not recently.
You have a pretty good mobo. I would get a 5700x3d or a 5800x3d, which drop right into your system. They will both give you a big bump, along with being able to make your GPU work harder producing more FPS. Not only higher FPS, but also higher 1% lows (which are an indication of how smooth your gaming will be).

The 5700x3d is $200 right now. It will make your GPU shine a little brighter.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
You have a pretty good mobo. I would get a 5700x3d or a 5800x3d, which drop right into your system. They will both give you a big bump, along with being able to make your GPU work harder producing more FPS. Not only higher FPS, but also higher 1% lows (which are an indication of how smooth your gaming will be).

The 5700x3d is $200 right now. It will make your GPU shine a little brighter.
The 5700X3D is the current sweet spot for an upgrade, I agree. It's that or a full rebuild going to a 7 series X3D, which won't be cost effective.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jun 2, 2024
You ideally need a faster CPU to provide the GPU pre-rendered frames faster. Then the GPU usage will go up, as will your overall FPS.
Thanks for the clear explenation and yes, cpu usage is slightly higher than gpu usage, correct!
Looks like I will have to upgrade the cpu 👍

You have a pretty good mobo. I would get a 5700x3d or a 5800x3d, which drop right into your system.
The 5700X3D is the current sweet spot for an upgrade, I agree.
Thank you! Just bought a new 5800x3d from Amazon for 300€, it was to good of a price to let it go 💪

XMP is enabled and it's running @3200MT/s for sure?
XMP is enabled, but I put profile 2 which I don't know if it's the right one. When I go into task manager the RAM speed is 3200.

Thanks everyone for your time, patience and great support!
We'll see the final result in about 2-3 business days... will post an update then 💛

Jun 2, 2024
XMP is enabled and it's running @3200MT/s for sure?
Checked here and there on the internet but couldnt find a defeinitive answer about the 2 profiles.
Looked on the BIOS and seems like the 2 profiles are the same 🤷‍♂️
Switched to profile 1 cause some say it's best for 3200

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you! Just bought a new 5800x3d from Amazon for 300€, it was to good of a price to let it go 💪

We'll see the final result in about 2-3 business days... will post an update then 💛
That is about the best choice for gaming on this older socket, enjoy. And do let us know.

Checked here and there on the internet but couldnt find a defeinitive answer about the 2 profiles.
Looked on the BIOS and seems like the 2 profiles are the same 🤷‍♂️
Switched to profile 1 cause some say it's best for 3200
Usually profile one wil be chosen unless it might seem a little unstabel, then profile two might be of use with some different timings.

Thanks for the clear explenation and yes, cpu usage is slightly higher than gpu usage, correct!
Looks like I will have to upgrade the cpu 👍

XMP is enabled, but I put profile 2 which I don't know if it's the right one. When I go into task manager the RAM speed is 3200.

Thanks everyone for your time, patience and great support!
Cool. Good choice. Yes, absolutely let us know how it goes :)

Jun 2, 2024
I could make a long post and even embed 5 results of the benchmarks I made but to make the long story short:
Yes, the CPU was bottlenecking the GPU.

Upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800x3d made my build gain 2.35 times better results in benchmarks (and FPS in games, of course) 💪

Thanks to all of you for all the good suggestions, tips, recomendations you gave me and for the great support 💪🖖🤙

A special thanks to @Roland Of Gilead for explaining why I needed to upgrade 🙏.
This is the very explaining reason I was looking for:

Last edited:
I could make a long post and even embed 5 results of the benchmarks I made but to make the long story short:
Yes, the CPU was bottlenecking the GPU.

Upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800x3d made my build gain 2.35 times better results in benchmarks (and FPS in games, of course) 💪

Thanks to all of you for all the good suggestions, tips, recomendations you gave me and for the great support 💪🖖🤙

A special thanks to @Roland Of Gilead for explaining why I needed to upgrade 🙏.
This is the very explaining reason I was looking for:
Ah, brilliant. I'm delighted to hear you're happy with it :) That's a great result.

I'm glad to have helped along with the other members.

Good luck, and happy gaming.

Reactions: Vic 40