[SOLVED] Low Fps with RTX 2080ti and i9 9900k

Apr 30, 2020
I build a really nice pc for my little brother for league of legends, but he struggles to get 240 fps(240hz monitor).
zotac amp extreme RTX 2080ti 11g
I9 9900k
32g 3200mhz ram
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 2 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - sata

In league of legends he plays on medium video settings with vsync disabled, reaching about 150fps in game. This stutters to about 90 somtimes during team fights... Youtube videos show people easily getting over 300fps with these parts. Power settings are set to max, drivers are updated as well.

Solution
So since league performs better, like you said, on a simpler cpu would prioritizing mine to run on 1 or 2 cores make the game perform better?
It's already doing that without you doing anything.

People with an i9 processor and rtx2080ti have gotten over 300fps on league, and i want my brother to achieve it too.
Are these people able to share with you how they did it? I don't know the method.
There's nothing wrong with the hardware, so you've got to change something in the game itself, Nvidia Control Panel, or Windows...

This may work, or might not do anything at all:
Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab.
Find the LoL executable from the list of programs to customize - if it can't be found on...
Apr 30, 2020
I build a really nice pc for my little brother for league of legends, but he struggles to get 240 fps(240hz monitor).
zotac amp extreme RTX 2080ti 11g
I9 9900k
32g 3200mhz ram
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 2 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - sata

In league of legends he plays on medium video settings with vsync disabled, reaching about 150fps in game. This stutters to about 90 somtimes during team fights... Youtube videos show people easily getting over 300fps with these parts. Power settings are set to max, drivers are updated as well.
1)https://www.userbenchmark.com/
Post the URL to the results.

2)No excessively high temperatures or thermal throttling present? 85C+ for cpu, 83C+ for gpu.

3)Motherboard drivers were updated?

4)Gpu drivers were updated?

5)Does this happen in multiple games, or just LoL?

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27407558
the pc is watercooled, no high temps. The problem mostly occures in LOL. Motherboard drivers updated and bios boot from ssd.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
DSR is disabled in Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings?
Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled? They can be found via Windows Search, Settings > Gaming.

Is the game using any gpu resources at all, or is it all on the cpu?

Make and model of the power supply?

Apr 30, 2020
DSR is disabled in Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings?
Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled? They can be found via Windows Search, Settings > Gaming.

Is the game using any gpu resources at all, or is it all on the cpu?

Make and model of the power supply?

I'm not sure what you mean by gpu resources. I dont think I programmed it to take priority on one part of the system if thats what youre asking.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's a matter of the game engine. An eSport title like that one can run on potato hardware, and isn't very demanding of gpu resources. The cpu is the one doing most of the work, and usually on one or 2 cores.

Have you been monitoring in game cpu and gpu usage at all?
You can use Msi Afterburner, HWINFO, or Intel XTU.
How high does gpu usage get?

As for cpu usage, it needs to be done differently. Because of the multiple cores/threads, you have to monitor EACH ONE.
Looking at cpu usage as a whole isn't correct.

Apr 30, 2020
I'm not sure what you mean by gpu resources. I dont think I programmed it to take priority on one part of the system if thats what youre asking.
I posted the benchmarkl
It's a matter of the game engine. An eSport title like that one can run on potato hardware, and isn't very demanding of gpu resources. The cpu is the one doing most of the work, and usually on one or 2 cores.

As for cpu usage, it needs to be done differently. Because of the multiple cores/threads, you have to monitor EACH ONE.

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27407558
here is my benchmark of the pc. several items are performing severely below average...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27407558
here is my benchmark of the pc. several items are performing severely below average...
You have to ignore the 'performing above/below expectations' crap. Your system is being compared against overclocked systems instead of stock like it should be - userbenchmark is useless for measuring performance.
It has it's uses with troubleshooting though. Nothing particularly stands out with your results, which led me to believe the problem is in-game settings or drivers.
1)Cpu score(%) is within 10% of the average - it's fine.
2)Gpu score also within 10% of the average.
3)System drive score is low VS the average, but still blazing fast compared to SATA SSDs - not a problem still. It probably just needs a firmware update.
4)HDD score is good.
5)Nothing to be done about the memory. You bought 3200mhz ram, but paired it with a locked motherboard; it runs at 2666mhz instead.

I'd suggest monitoring gpu and cpu(each core/thread) usage in the game.

Apr 30, 2020
You have to ignore the 'performing above/below expectations' crap. Your system is being compared against overclocked systems instead of stock like it should be - userbenchmark is useless for measuring performance.
It has it's uses with troubleshooting though. Nothing particularly stands out with your results, which led me to believe the problem is in-game settings or drivers.
3)System drive score is low VS the average, but still blazing fast compared to SATA SSDs - not a problem still. It probably just needs a firmware update.
4)HDD score is good.
5)Nothing to be done about the memory. You bought 3200mhz ram, but paired it with a locked motherboard; it runs at 2666mhz instead.

the in-game results for League of legends while running are around:
Cpu: 35%
Ram:23%
Gpu: 32%
thanks for sticking with me here, I appreciate your help!

Apr 30, 2020
4)HDD score is good.

Scratch my previous reply about the performance, the cpu overall is around 10% usage, gpu around 5%. memory around 24%. each core isnt under that much stress and is barely working a lot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Internet went down for several hours...

Scratch my previous reply about the performance, the cpu overall is around 10% usage, gpu around 5%. memory around 24%. each core isnt under that much stress and is barely working a lot.
It's a game designed to work with potato hardware; it purely single threaded. It's not optimized for something like a 9900K + 2080Ti.
-10% of a 16 threaded cpu is equivalent to 100% of 1, and 60% of another - but not necessarily behaving in that manner.
-Low gpu usage: Playing at 1080p with a 2080Ti doesn't help, plus LoL doesn't care for any big beefy gpu:
  • C++ (core game written in this)
  • Lua (core game)
  • C# (game tools)
  • ActionScript (game hud and pvp.net)
  • Java (platform servers)
  • Erlang (platform servers)
  • Php/sql (web team / platform)
Riot made their own proprietary game engine with C++, and it was written to run off low core count cpus.

Is there an option in game for setting an fps minimum? I know some games have such a feature.
If not, I'd suggest some kind of fps cap to see if it helps.

Apr 30, 2020
Internet went down for several hours...

It's a game designed to work with potato hardware; it purely single threaded. It's not optimized for something like a 9900K + 2080Ti.
-10% of a 16 threaded cpu is equivalent to 100% of 1, and 60% of another - but not necessarily behaving in that manner.
-Low gpu usage: Playing at 1080p with a 2080Ti doesn't help, plus LoL doesn't care for any big beefy gpu:
  • C++ (core game written in this)
  • Lua (core game)
  • C# (game tools)
  • ActionScript (game hud and pvp.net)
  • Java (platform servers)
  • Erlang (platform servers)
  • Php/sql (web team / platform)
Riot made their own proprietary game engine with C++, and it was written to run off low core count cpus.

Is there an option in game for setting an fps minimum? I know some games have such a feature.
If not, I'd suggest some kind of fps cap to see if it helps.
are my parts overall compatible with each other? the performance said that they were performing in the low percentiles. and the pc overall was performing in the 30th percentile.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
are my parts overall compatible with each other?
Yes.

the performance said that they were performing in the low percentiles. and the pc overall was performing in the 30th percentile.
Ignore that.
Userbenchmark is not an accurate representation of your system performance. The app is worthless for that.
As I said earlier, it's only useful for troubleshooting... your results show that nothing is exceptionally wrong with the hardware displayed, so if there is a conflict, it's either the drivers or in game settings.

Apr 30, 2020
Yes.

Ignore that.
Userbenchmark is not an accurate representation of your system performance. The app is worthless for that.
As I said earlier, it's only useful for troubleshooting... your results show that nothing is exceptionally wrong with the hardware displayed, so if there is a conflict, it's either the drivers or in game settings.
So since you said that league is designed for single core processors and not multiple ones like mine, is there a way to inhibit the cpu to function on 1 or 2 cores so it's more optimal for league? Could the same be done with the gpu?

Apr 30, 2020
?
Why do you need to make such a change to the cpu?

Just set an fps cap?
People with an i9 processor and rtx2080ti have gotten over 300fps on league, and i want my brother to achieve it too. I limited the fps to 240, but he still doesnt reach it. So since league performs better, like you said, on a simpler cpu would prioritizing mine to run on 1 or 2 cores make the game perform better?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So since league performs better, like you said, on a simpler cpu would prioritizing mine to run on 1 or 2 cores make the game perform better?

People with an i9 processor and rtx2080ti have gotten over 300fps on league, and i want my brother to achieve it too.
Are these people able to share with you how they did it? I don't know the method.
There's nothing wrong with the hardware, so you've got to change something in the game itself, Nvidia Control Panel, or Windows...

Find the LoL executable from the list of programs to customize - if it can't be found on that list, then you will have to click the Add button and include it yourself.
Click Apply and exit.

Solution
Apr 30, 2020

Find the LoL executable from the list of programs to customize - if it can't be found on that list, then you will have to click the Add button and include it yourself.
Click Apply and exit.
I'll look into that, thank you for the help!