Question Low Fps with Rx 570 and I7 4770

Jun 19, 2019
Hello guys !!
So, I have an i7 4770 3.4 GHz and a rx 570 4gb msi armor edition. In certain games like Battlefield 5 and 1 my gpu usage is not stable ( it never stays consistently at 100% ) and cpu usage is always around 70 to 90, sometimes even reaching 100 %. Also the fps seem to drop when the gpu usage goes down.
Another thing I noticed it's like in games when this dindt happen, like for Honor and csgo, it started happening to even tho it's not so noticible cause I run those games always above 60 fps so even when it drops I can feel it but it's not a deal breaker . Drivers are all up to date . Is this a cpu bottleneck ? Thank you for reading this guys .

Jun 19, 2019
What's the screen RESOLUTION of your Monitor ?
Which Power Supply unit are you using ? List the brand/model.
What is the GPU and CPU TEMP value while Gaming ?
Some games are graphic demanding than others, whereas some are not, like CS:GO. Some are CPU-bound.

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/amd-radeon-rx-570/intel-core-i7-4770-3-40ghz/

Screen resolution is 1080p
Corsair vs 650
And the temps are 65-75 on GPU and 75-85 on CPU ( sometimes it's more )

Thanks for the quick answer

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Battlefield 1 & 5 are extremely cpu demanding. When cpu is nearing max usage it cant efficiently supply the gpu with pre-rendered frames and you get what you see as fluctuating fps and bouncing usage stats.

Besides upgrading, all you can do really is cap fps to a comfortable level and have as little as possible background running processes. Winaero can help with temporarily minimising unnecessary background services freeing more cpu resources.

Whats your ram configuration?

First of all, the Battlefield games are mostly CPU bound, and if you are getting 100% usage, then this means the CPU cannot provide proper frames to feed the GPU. Try using VSYNC.

BTW, this text below is just a disclaimer, and I'm NOT saying your PSU is indeed the culprit here, but I'm just pointing out the quality of VS series.

Are you using the INTEL CPU's stock cooler ? Your PSU is an okay-ish low-quality model, not the very best. The VS and CX series are mostly good for like office builds and lower power PCs, that don't spike/push hard, unlike gaming PCs with a GPU.

You are using a very low end, group regulated PSU. When you’re using such high performing GPU there will be a large draw from the 12v rail, and small from the 5v rail. This is what causes loose voltages on your power supply, which may cause issues such as lockups but also decrease your components lifespan.

Better get a good power supply, if possible. The VS series is kinda cheap, with just an 80+ white certification... But, they are not THAT bad either. But most of the the corsair VS series models offered by Corsair haven't been good, and they are low quality units. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it.

Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series build quality wise, but they are still worse than anything offered by Seasonic.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019
First of all, the Battlefield games are mostly CPU bound, and if you are getting 100% usage, then this means the CPU cannot provide proper frames to feed the GPU. Try using VSYNC.

BTW, this text below is just a disclaimer, and I'm NOT saying your PSU is indeed the culprit here, but I'm just pointing out the quality of VS series.

Are you using the INTEL CPU's stock cooler ? Your PSU is an okay-ish low-quality model, not the very best. The VS and CX series are mostly good for like office builds and lower power PCs, that don't spike/push hard, unlike gaming PCs with a GPU.

You are using a very low end, group regulated PSU. When you’re using such high performing GPU there will be a large draw from the 12v rail, and small from the 5v rail. This is what causes loose voltages on your power supply, which may cause issues such as lockups but also decrease your components lifespan.

Better get a good power supply, if possible. The VS series is kinda cheap, with just an 80+ white certification... But, they are not THAT bad either. But most of the the corsair VS series models offered by Corsair haven't been good, and they are low quality units. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it.

Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series build quality wise, but they are still worse than anything offered by Seasonic.

Yes im using the stock cooler. Can you give me a tip for a good PSU thats not expensive ? For the moment i doubt i will buy a new one since im going to college and i doubt my parents will let me buy a new one. Is the VS series really that bad ? im kinda worried right now

Jun 19, 2019
Battlefield 1 & 5 are extremely cpu demanding. When cpu is nearing max usage it cant efficiently supply the gpu with pre-rendered frames and you get what you see as fluctuating fps and bouncing usage stats.

Besides upgrading, all you can do really is cap fps to a comfortable level and have as little as possible background running processes. Winaero can help with temporarily minimising unnecessary background services freeing more cpu resources.

Whats your ram configuration?

i know about that. But i see the same builds doing benchmarks and they dont get this frame drops... Is it because of the PSU or the temperatures on the cpu ? Thank you btw
About the ram i have two sticks of 8gb Ram ddr3 (dont know the clock)

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
i know about that. But i see the same builds doing benchmarks and they dont get this frame drops... Is it because of the PSU or the temperatures on the cpu ? Thank you btw

Temps you'll have to monitor while you play with Msi Afterburner or similar. Unless temps are throttling cpu to low speeds is up to you to find out, Msi Afterburner has all sorts of osd readouts you can watch while you play.

Psu is a hard one. Could it really restrict performance this long before blowing up? Don't think so.

Never compare to other systems, you never know condition of os etc, you don't know how they've optimised for curtain situations. Check idle usages etc before playing is a good start. Then check cpu temps/ cpu speeds aren't fluctuating during the moments it stutters.

Jun 19, 2019
Temps you'll have to monitor while you play with Msi Afterburner or similar. Unless temps are throttling cpu to low speeds is up to you to find out, Msi Afterburner has all sorts of osd readouts you can watch while you play.

Psu is a hard one. Could it really restrict performance this long before blowing up? Don't think so.

Never compare to other systems, you never know condition of os etc, you don't know how they've optimised for curtain situations. Check idle usages etc before playing is a good start. Then check cpu temps/ cpu speeds aren't fluctuating during the moments it stutters.

I already use msi afterbuerner for that. When the frame drops ocurres my GPU usage goes down and my CPU usage just stays on those 70/80/90% usage. My temps for cpu are a little high i think. On battlefield games always on 80 /85 degrees after 30min gameplay and stays there. About the cpu clock i cant say too much because my cpu is clocked on 3.4ghz and afterburner says it stays on 3700mhz while gaming, and i didnt overclock it. So i think its a false reading. Idle usages seems to be normal tho. Thanks for the tips my friend ;)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No worries, bf is just a beast of a game, even 8600k/9600k struggle.

If cpu temps were bad you would see speeds decrease down to 1000mhz or lower and you'll sure know about it.

Try reduce frame rates or increase details to reduce fps or try winaero

Jun 19, 2019
No worries, bf is just a beast of a game, even 8600k/9600k struggle.

If cpu temps were bad you would see speeds decrease down to 1000mhz or lower and you'll sure know about it.

Try reduce frame rates or increase details to reduce fps or try winaero

Okay i will do that !! Thank you for the quick answers