Question Low FPS with this system ?

May 1, 2021
Hello, can someone help me? For the past 2 weeks I've been having fps issue with this system. The system is a mix and match of old parts from my brother's pc

PC Spec
CPU: Core i5-6600 (used)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB (used)
MOBO: Biostar H110Mhv3 (used)
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ (Dual Channel) (New)
PSU: CM MasterWatt Lite 600W (New)

The monitor that I used is a LG with a resolution of 1440x900 (used a vga to dvi adapter to connect the monitor lol) .
(The screenshot was taken from a bot match)

3RFjXeO.jpg

When playing dota2 in intensive part, the gpu usage is around 25% to 35% at 1596MHZ core clock, while the cpu clocked at 3.5GHZ at 80% to 95% usage with 44fps.

l2uN0ub.png

The setting that i use

While at the menu, the gpu usage is higher at 55% to 75% usage at 1569MHZ core clock, while the cpu is at 40% to 50% usage and clocked at 3.7GHZ with 100+fps.

Can someone explain and come up with a solution , It's very confusing. or the system is being bottleneck but the cpu?

Thank you.

Note: I tried running various api (dx9, dx11, vulkan, and opengl) but the result is still the same. i'm also using the latest nvidia drivers

Last edited:

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Hello, can someone help me? For the past 2 weeks I've been having fps issue with this system. The system is a mix and match of old parts from my brother's pc

PC Spec
CPU: Core i5-6600 (used)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB (used)
MOBO: Biostar H110Mhv3 (used)
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ (Dual Channel) (New)
PSU: CM MasterWatt Lite 600W (New)

The monitor that I used is a LG with a resolution of 1440x900 (used a vga to dvi adapter to connect the monitor lol) .
(The screenshot was taken from a bot match)

3RFjXeO.jpg

When playing dota2 in intensive part, the gpu usage is around 25% to 35% at 1596MHZ core clock, while the cpu clocked at 3.5GHZ at 80% to 95% usage with 44fps.

l2uN0ub.png

The setting that i use

While at the menu, the gpu usage is higher at 55% to 75% usage at 1569MHZ core clock, while the cpu is at 40% to 50% usage and clocked at 3.7GHZ with 100+fps.

Can someone explain and come up with a solution , It's very confusing.

Thank you.

Note: I tried running various api (dx9, dx11, vulkan, and opengl) but the result is still the same. i'm also using the latest nvidia drivers
Try updating the bios for your motherboard. https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=832#download

Last edited:
May 1, 2021
Is one of the ram an 8gb and the other a 4? If so try removing the 4gb stick see if that changes anything.
Unfortunately it is still the same result. The weird part is, in some games eg Titanfall 2 played at the recommended setting can easily reach 80+fps, apex legends played at mix of medium and high around 70+fps (a bit stuttering) with a gpu usage above 50%+. Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate it m8.

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
Unfortunately it is still the same result. The weird part is, in some games eg Titanfall 2 played at the recommended setting can easily reach 80+fps, apex legends played at mix of medium and high around 70+fps (a bit stuttering) with a gpu usage above 50%+. Thanks for the suggestion really appreciate it m8.
Apparently all options under the advance setting are better left off. Probably at the point where you will have to try changing options around to until you reach a happy point between graphics and fps.

May 1, 2021
Apparently all options under the advance setting are better left off. Probably at the point where you will have to try changing options around to until you reach a happy point between graphics and fps.
I tried all setting from low to high still the same result below 60fps, but a 1060 even though a 3gb version should play dota 2 smoothly even at any graphical setting. Can a gpu repaste job should settle the problem? or the gpu is beyond repairable?

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
I tried all setting from low to high still the same result below 60fps, but a 1060 even though a 3gb version should play dota 2 smoothly even at any graphical setting. Can a gpu repaste job should settle the problem? or the gpu is beyond repairable?
The gpu temp seems to be fine under load from your screen shots, but you could always try to clean the card if there is a lot of dust. I feel there is really an issue with dota 2 not the gpu since as you said it works well in other games. Maybe try bringing down the max fps.

May 1, 2021
The gpu temp seems to be fine under load from your screen shots, but you could always try to clean the card if there is a lot of dust. I feel there is really an issue with dota 2 not the gpu since as you said it works well in other games. Maybe try bringing down the max fps.
Oh i see, however am i being bottlenecked by the cpu by any chance?