[SOLVED] Low frequency 9400f

Matthughes576

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
So i just purchased a 9400f, b365m motherboard, and 16gb of ddr4. My max score on cinebench so far is around 750 with all cores boosting to 3.4ghz. The advertised single core speed is 4.1 but none of my cores are doing that, according to hardware monitor. I fiddled around in the bios as much as I could, eventually resetting it to default settings. This is a fresh copy of windows btw. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
mmm, thats strange, is your BIOS up to date?

Check which BIOS version are you using, heres the list: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Also you could try downloading https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool and check your cpu up.

You wrote "Cpu does need exceed 65 degrees under sustained load" CPU, but if its only boosting to 3.4GHz it does seems a bit too high on the temp for me.

Did you put the PC togheter, or have someone else to do it?

Are you using the stock cooler, or an aftermarket one?

Did the cooler pins attached correctly into the motherboard holes?
So i just purchased a 9400f, b365m motherboard, and 16gb of ddr4. My max score on cinebench so far is around 750 with all cores boosting to 3.4ghz. The advertised single core speed is 4.1 but none of my cores are doing that, according to hardware monitor. I fiddled around in the bios as much as I could, eventually resetting it to default settings. This is a fresh copy of windows btw. Any help would be much appreciated.

About why did you bought a 9400F in late 2020, its well beyong my understanding.

Anyways, single core frecuency is up to 4.1GHz indeed, but if you run cinebecnh multi-core test, none of your cores will reach that frecuency.

If you wana test again make it so that Cinebench runs on only 1 core. Look at the menus theres an option to set how many core to run, in fact depending on the version it may have the option on the main screen.

All core frecuency while runing cinebench should go to at least 3.8GHz (it may peak 3.9GHz). As logn as temp and voltage allows it.

Are you using the Balanced Power Plan or Performance Power Plan in Windows?

Are you sure turbo boost is enable in BIOS?

Also if you need further help please put the complete list of your PC parts, include brand and model of everything.

Matthughes576

Honorable
Jul 2, 2015
About why did you bought a 9400F in late 2020, its well beyong my understanding.

Anyways, single core frecuency is up to 4.1GHz indeed, but if you run cinebecnh multi-core test, none of your cores will reach that frecuency.

If you wana test again make it so that Cinebench runs on only 1 core. Look at the menus theres an option to set how many core to run, in fact depending on the version it may have the option on the main screen.

All core frecuency while runing cinebench should go to at least 3.8GHz (it may peak 3.9GHz). As logn as temp and voltage allows it.

Are you using the Balanced Power Plan or Performance Power Plan in Windows?

Are you sure turbo boost is enable in BIOS?

Also if you need further help please put the complete list of your PC parts, include brand and model of everything.

I was able to buy one for 50 dollars on facebook marketplace so I figured it was worth the buy. Both my single core and multicore score are incredibly low (750 and 149). The single core test utilizes core 2. Power plan is set to high performance. Turbo boost is enabled along with all other boost options. Cpu does need exceed 65 degrees under sustained load.
9400f
GIGABYTE B365M DS3H
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16gb 3200mhz
Rosewill LEPTON 600 psu
pny 1070 ti
wd blue SN550

mmm, thats strange, is your BIOS up to date?

Check which BIOS version are you using, heres the list: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Also you could try downloading https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool and check your cpu up.

You wrote "Cpu does need exceed 65 degrees under sustained load" CPU, but if its only boosting to 3.4GHz it does seems a bit too high on the temp for me.

Did you put the PC togheter, or have someone else to do it?

Are you using the stock cooler, or an aftermarket one?

Did the cooler pins attached correctly into the motherboard holes?

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution
The default turbo power limits for this CPU will probably not allow it to run fully loaded at full speed. This CPU has a 65W TDP rating. There is a long and a short turbo power limit. Look in the BIOS for this setting. Set them both to 256 so they do not interfere with maximum performance.

If your BIOS does not have this setting, you can access the turbo power limits by running Intel XTU, ThrottleStop or Quick CPU.

The HWiNFO Sensors feature will show you if your CPU is power limit throttling (PL1, PL2, PL3).